41.115: Administrative Position Status Determination
|Approved on February 27, 2005|
Superceded on February 11, 2015
|Signatures and dates
on archival copy
|James E. Kemper
Assistant Vice President for
Administration for Human Resources
|Herman ("Butch") Hill, Chair
Policy and Procedure Review Committee
Interim Vice President for Finance and Administration
- This policy provides for review of administrative positions to assure compliance with the regulations of the State Civil Service Code and the Federal Fair Labor Standards Act.
- All administrative positions must be reviewed by the Assistant Vice President for Human Resources to determine their proper status (salaried or hourly) before commitment is made to a prospective employee and before an employee is placed in the position.
I. Determination of Status
- The employing department must prepare a position description for each administrative position, and submit it to University Human Resources (UHR), for review.
University Human Resources will review the position description, will investigate details of the position with the employing department head, and will determine the status of the position, applying guidelines of the Civil Service Code and Fair Labor Standards Act.
II. Notification of Status
- University Human Resources will notify the employing department head in writing of the status of the position.
A. Exempt - Unclassified
- If the position is determined to be exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act and eligible for unclassified service, it will be stated as a Presidential Appointee position, and the department head must submit a request for appointment.
B. Non Exempt - Classified
- If the position is determined to be non-exempt or hourly, then the position will be considered classified as defined by the Ohio Revised Code. The classification, pay range, and starting salary will be determined by University Human Resources, and the job will be filled in accordance with Policy 40.038, "Recruitment and Hiring for Classified Positions."
III. Payroll Processing
- To assure compliance with this policy, all administrative appointments will be reviewed and initiated by UHR before being processed for payroll purposes.
- Proposed revisions of this policy should be reviewed by:
- Policy and Procedure Review Committee
- Administrative Senate
- Payroll Manager
- The following forms are specific to this policy:
- Position Descriptions are available from University Human Resources.
Copyright © 2015 Ohio University. All Rights Reserved.
Dick Piccard revised this file (http://www.ohio.edu/policy/s41-115.html) on February 17, 2015.
Please E-mail any comments or suggestions to "firstname.lastname@example.org".