Transfer or Promotion for Classified Employees
SUPERCEDED on March 21, 2006
Procedure No.: 40.044
Page No.: 1,2,3 and 4 of 4
Date Issued: 05/15/92
Issued By: Gary North
Previous Policy Previous Page Next Page Next Policy
- To provide a uniform policy and procedure for posting and advertising of vacancies in classified positions at the University. This policy does not apply to any positions covered by a collective bargaining agreement.
- It is the policy of Ohio University to inform classified employees of transfer and promotional opportunities through Departmental and University-wide postings when a vacancy occurs.
Departmental/Planning Unit (DPU) Managers will give first consideration to those qualified applicants currently employed in the DPU where the vacancy occurred. If the position cannot be filled from within the internal posting process, then the vacancy will be posted University-wide for current University employees.
UPS will post and advertise the position for external applicants, if the vacancy cannot be filled from a University-wide posting.
The only employees eligible to apply for a transfer or promotion are full-time and part-time permanent employees. A transfer under this policy is limited to one (1) per employee during any one (1) year period. An employee is eligible to be promoted after satisfactorily completing the probationary period.
Transfers resulting from reorganizations to avoid layoffs will take precedence over this policy.
A publicly displayed statement of a vacancy notifying internal employees of the position and when the examination(s) (where applicable) will be given. The posting will include the job classification, minimum qualifications, department, working hours, pay grade, a brief description of duties (including essential functions), responsibilities, testing and practical (if applicable), and deadline date for applying.
The movement of an employee to a vacancy in the same classification and/or pay grade but in a different location.
The appointment of an employee to a different classification which is assigned a higher pay range than the previous position.
D. Limited Access Posting:
is where a long term list of eligible candidates have been ranked without notice of a vacancy to establish a pool of candidates for a particular classification for a specified period of time (up to two  years).
[Here begins page 2 of the hardcopy version.]
E. An Open Posting:
is where a short term eligibility list will be created from a posting for a specific position and will be terminated after the vacancy has been filled.
II. Minimum Qualifications - All applicants must meet each of the following minimum qualifications:
- A. Must have completed the probationary period for current full-time or part-time permanent position held.
B. Must have a satisfactory attendance rating on the most recent performance evaluation.
C. Must have received at least a satisfactory overall rating on the most recent performance evaluation.
D. Must meet each of the minimum requirements for the posted vacancy.
III. Procedures for Transferring or Promoting Employees
A. Notice of Vacancy
- When a vacancy occurs within a Department, University Personnel Services (UPS) must be contacted to review and determine the appropriate job classification, pay grade, and if the position will be filled through a Limited Access Posting or an Open Posting.
- UPS will prepare the job posting in cooperation with the DPU Manager. The DPU areas will remain as established on the effective date of this policy.
- The notice of vacancy will be posted on the DPU bulletin board, and circulated within the DPU by the DPU Manager for a period of three (3) working days.
- All interested employees must apply to UPS by completing the "Request for Transfer and Promotion Form" by telephone or in person.
- UPS will post the notice of vacancy University-wide, upon request of the DPU Manager, if UPS receives less than three (3) qualified applicants from within the DPU.
- All University-wide positions will be posted on the UPS Bulletin Board for a period of three (3) working days.
[Here begins page 3 of the hardcopy version.]
- The hiring department will supply technical questions to UPS (for areas where employment tests have not been developed).
- UPS will be responsible for developing, and conducting the appropriate examination(s).
a. Provisions will be made to accommodate applicants with protected disabilities in accordance with state and federal law.
b. Any questions, concerns, or complaints regarding testing must be directed to UPS.
c. Test results for full or part-time permanent positions will be valid for a one (1) year period from the date the test was taken.
- If the hiring department decides that a departmental examination or practical is to be administered, both must be approved by UPS.
C. Screening and Ranking Process
- UPS will screen all applicants to determine if they meet the minimum qualifications for a transfer or a promotion. Only those applicants who meet the minimum criteria will continue in the hiring process.
a. Candidates seeking a transfer will be considered without additional testing except when a practical is required.
b. Candidates seeking a promotion must be tested by UPS, where appropriate and may be subject to a practical.
c. A medical evaluation may be required when a employee has been promoted to a new position which requires different or increased physical qualifications.
- If UPS received at least three (3) acceptable applicants from within the DPU, the vacancy will be filled from within that DPU by transferring or promoting an employee.
- If there are less than three (3) internal applicants from the DPU, the vacancy may be posted University-wide. The process outlined in this section will be repeated.
[Here begins page 4 of the hardcopy version.]
- Candidates will be ranked according to the test and interview results, efficiency, experience, and seniority in service.
- UPS will assist the hiring department in coordinating and conducting the structured interviews.
D. Selection Process
- UPS will notify the hiring department head (or designee) of the three (3) top ranked candidates.
- The department head (or designee) making the selection may recommend the top-ranked candidate without an interview, or interview all three (3) and select one (1).
- The hiring department must complete and submit to UPS the Personnel Action Report Summary showing the rank order and selection criteria used in the selection process.
E. Hiring Offer
- UPS is the only authorized representative to make an official hiring offer.
a. When there is nonconcurrence, UPS will advise the department head of the reasons and consult with the department head to achieve a resolution.
b. If there is concurrence, UPS will make the offer as described in the Personnel Action Summary Report.
- UPS will make the hiring offer, confirm an acceptance in writing, establish the effective date to report to the new department, and schedule the employee for a physical examination if appropriate.
Return to the top.
Previous Policy Previous Page Next Page Next Policy
Dick Piccard revised this file (http://www.ohiou.edu/policy/s40-044.html) on March 21, 2006.
Please E-mail any comments or suggestions to "email@example.com".