Use of Standard Contracts for Part-Time Group III Appointments and Overload Addenda
Valid until SUPERCEDED on August 27, 2012
Procedure No.: 41.006
Page No.: 1,2 and 3 of 3
Date Issued: 07/01/87
Issued By: J. Bruning
Previous Policy Previous Page Next Page Next Policy
- To standardize a contractual procedure for all individuals assigned part-time and overload appointments (academic and non-academic).
- Part-time appointments do not include undergraduate teaching contracts issued by University College, graduate contracts issued by the Graduate College, research assistants, teaching or research fellows or associates, post-doctoral fellows, or civil service and student employees.
- Part-time contracts will be issued to all individuals assigned part-time Group III appointments.
- Overload Contract Addenda are to be issued to all individuals on Presidential Contracts who are assigned part-time appointments at either the Athens or regional campuses as overload.
"Overload" is defined as any additional work which is performed by a full-time Presidential Contract employee during the period of their full-time contract (regardless of the length of their full-time employment).
Also, additional work performed by a full-time civil service employee but which work is not related to their normal duties shall be paid via an "over-load" contract (e.g., clerk typist who teaches evening dance class).
Overload work shall normally not be of the same type as the full-time position; such as a full-time programmer doing programming for another department; a full-time secretary doing secretarial work for a different department, etc.
a. Summer teaching by a typical full-time faculty shall not be "overload."
b. The accumulation of numerous part-time contracts which in total exceed 1.0 FE for a period of time does not give rise to overload for any work exceeding 1.0 FTE.
- Intermittent employees within the Extension Division will not be subject to this policy. Specifically, all persons employed by the Independent Study office and persons not currently holding Presidential Contracts (not on the payroll, employed for less than one quarter, will be paid by requisition).
Procedure for Issuance of Part-Time Group III Contracts
- Prior to issuance of part-time contracts, prospective personnel not on Presidential Contracts will be identified as such by the employing department or regional campus dean who will initiate the part-time Group III contracts.
Procedure for Issuance of Overload Contract Addenda
- Prior to issuance of Overload Contract Addenda, prospective personnel who are on Presidential Contracts will be identified as such by the employing department, approved by the individual's department chairman and by the dean of the college/campus or other appropriate administrative officer.
Faculty or staff members on Presidential Contracts will be issued Overload Contract Addenda specifying appointment responsibilities, overload salary, course call numbers, percentage of time in relation to full-time (F.T.E.) for the appropriate contract period, and duration of appointment.
The Dean of the College or the Regional Campus Dean will be responsible for auditing and enforcing the Overload Policy.
Incorrect and/or incomplete contracts will be returned to the originating department by the Payroll office.
- The employing department or regional campus dean must forward a copy of all employees' signed contracts to the offices designated on individual copies of the contract. The Provost's office is responsible for forwarding xerox copies of each part-time contract to the Equal Opportunity Programs office and the Insurance office for all newly hired employees.
Part-time Group m contract or Overload Contract Addenda which are voided will be immediately routed back through the offices having employee-signed copies of the contract.
Pay Schedule for Part-Time Contracts
- Part-time contracts for one or more academic quarters will be paid on a monthly basis (summer contracts will be paid at the end of each session). All other part-time contracts will be paid on the closest bi-weekly pay date following the completion of the contract.
Overload contracts will be paid in one payment only regardless of contract length. Quarterly overload contracts will be paid on the closest bi-weekly pay date prior to the close of each academic quarter. All other overload contracts will be paid on the closest bi-weekly pay date following the completion of the contract.
Contracts not falling under one of the above will be paid at the time determined by the Payroll Manager.
- If the position cannot be filled by a current or recently hired employee appointment in the same department, then it shall be considered an open position and the Athens department must notify the University Personnel Services office of its availability, in compliance with Procedure No. 40.120.
The distribution of sufficient quantities of blank contracts to all departments will be the responsibility of the Provost's office.
Return to the top.
Previous Policy Previous Page Next Page Next Policy
Dick Piccard revised this file (http://www.ohio.edu/policy/s41-006.html) on August 20, 2012.
Please E-mail any comments or suggestions to "email@example.com".