40.121: Making Presidential Appointments
|Re-formatted on July 8, 2016|
Approved on October 28, 2002
|Signatures and dates
on archival copy
|October 1, 2002||
|William Y. Smith
Executive Assistant to the President
for Institutional Equity
|Nancy Prichard Crist, Chair
Policy and Procedure Review Committee
Vice President for Administration
- A. Overview
This policy provides a uniform process for the office for equal opportunity and accessibility to review all prospective presidential appointment offerings.
The scope of this policy includes all faculty and administrative staff positions filled by presidential appointment.
Ohio university will make aggressive efforts to recruit under-represented minority group members, women, persons with disabilities, veterans, and Vietnam era veterans for position openings. Further, it is the responsibility of each planning unit head to ensure compliance with university affirmative action requirements as outlined in the "Ohio University Affirmative Action Plan."
- B. Process
- Each planning unit head shall, prior to the extension of either an oral or written offer of employment, assure compliance with affirmative action requirements. The method of establishing evidence of compliance shall include both of the following:
- Posting of contract position by university human resources.
- Completion and approval of the "Affirmative Action Recruitment Report."
- Upon completion of the recruitment report, the planning unit head shall forward to the office for equal opportunity and accessibility for the purpose of review, the recruitment report and evidence of compliance with affirmative action guidelines.
- The office for equal opportunity and accessibility shall review the completed recruitment report, and any additional information which the department may wish to submit, for the purpose of determining the department's sufficiency of compliance.
- Following review, the office for equal opportunity and accessibility shall indicate concurrence or nonconcurrence with the report. When there is concurrence, the department will be authorized to initiate an offer of employment under the provisions described in the recruitment report. Where there is nonconcurrence, the office for equal opportunity and accessibility shall advise the planning unit head as to the reasons and consult with the planning unit head to achieve resolution.
Proposed revisions of this policy should be reviewed by:
- Chief Human Resource Officer
- Planning unit heads
- Faculty Senate
- Administrative Senate
- Forms, References, and History
- 1. Forms
The following forms are specific to this policy:
- The Affirmative Action Recruitment Report is built in to the software for administering the hiring process. Contact University Human Resources for assistance.
- 2. References
The following items are relevant to this policy:
- The Faculty Handbook addresses hiring of faculty in some detail.
- Policy 40.001, "Equal Employment and Educational Opportunity."
- Policy 40.106, "Administrative Appointments."
- Policy 40.110, "Employment Agency Fees."
- 3. History
Draft versions of this policy that were circulated for review, their cover memos, their forms, and Reviewers' comments on them are available on the password-protected Review site, at https://www.ohio.edu/policy2/40-121/.
Prior versions of this policy were approved on:
- October 28, 2002
- July 1, 1998
- October 1, 1995
- January 1, 1984
- July 1, 1980
- September 12, 1977
- April 8, 1976