40.023: Organ Donation Leave
|Status:||Approved on September 28, 2015||Signatures and dates
on archival copy
|Effective:||30 days after approval||
|Initiated by:||Colleen Bendl|
Chief Human Resource Officer
|Endorsed by:||Stephen Golding|
Vice President for Finance and Administration
|Approved by:||Roderick J. McDavis|
- A. Overview
This policy establishes university policy and procedures for organ donation leave for full-time faculty and staff, pursuant to section 124.139 of the Revised Code.
Ohio university will grant an organ donation leave with pay to all full-time faculty and staff. For faculty, this policy applies only to the extent that no contrary provision is included in the "Faculty Handbook."
- B. Organ donation leave
- 1. Application
When organ donation leave is anticipated, verbal notice should be given as far in advance as possible, followed by written documentation to include a "Request for Organ Donation Leave," indicating hours and dates of leave and including supporting medical certification from an appropriate health care provider.
- 2. Leave provided
- All full-time employees who donate an adult kidney or any portion of an adult liver shall receive up to two hundred forty hours of leave with pay during each calendar year to use during those hours when the employee is absent from work due to the employee's donation.
- All full-time employees who donate adult bone marrow shall receive up to fifty-six hours of leave with pay during each calendar year to use during those hours when the employee is absent from work due to the employee's donation.
- The duration of leave for other types of organ donations will be decided on a case-by-case basis by the chief human resource officer, who will consult competent medical authority.
- 3. Use
- Organ donation leave shall be exhausted prior to using any sick leave or vacation leave to continue recuperation from the organ donation.
- Organ donation leave shall run concurrently with other university leave programs (e.g., family medical leave). Organ donation could be considered a serious health condition under the family medical leave act, and therefore, providing the employee met the other family medical leave requirements, would be covered under the act.
- The employee using such organ donation leave shall be compensated at the employee's regular rate of pay for those regular work hours during which the employee is absent from work.
Proposed revisions of this policy should be reviewed by:
- Faculty Senate
- Administrative Senate
- Classified Senate
- Forms, References, and History
- 1. Forms
The following forms are specific to this policy:
- The Request for Organ Donation Leave is available from University Human Resources, or online linked from https://www.ohio.edu/hr/forms/#p.
- 2. References
The following items are relevant to this policy:
- The Faculty Handbook is available online.
- The Ohio Revised Code is available online, including § 124.139.
- 3. History
Draft versions of this policy that were circulated for review, their cover memos, their forms, and Reviewers' comments on them are available on the password-protected Review site, at https://www.ohio.edu/policy2/40-023/.
The only prior version of this policy was approved on February 28, 2005.