Arrive at Ohio University

Visa check-in
Once you have moved into temporary housing, you must visit the Office of International Student and Faculty Services (ISFS). Bring your passport, I-94 and I-20 or DS-2019, as well as documents for any family members traveling with you.

All new international students will attend orientation the week before classes start. The orientation schedule is available online at four weeks before the term begins. You will be registered for Bobcat Student Orientation at this time.

English Proficiency Testing
Your letter of admission will say if you are required to take the English proficiency exam. The test results will place you in intensive English classes in the Ohio Program of Intensive English and/or academic classes.

Registering for classes
If you are eligible for academic courses after your English proficiency test, you will attend Bobcat Student Orientation before classes begin. In this session, you will meet with an academic advisor and register for your courses.

Transfer Credit Policy

Students can receive credit for courses taken at institutions recognized by the Ministry of Education in that country. We do not award credit for courses under either of the following conditions:

  • English language courses taken in non-English speaking countries
  • Courses which have a grade lower than C- or the equivalent or graded on a Pass/Fail basis

Your college will decide whether a course you have taken is similar to an Ohio University course. Please send or bring certified English translations of your course descriptions to help the college award credit accurately. Transfer credit can be either course credit or elective credit.

  • Course credit: If a previous course is similar to an Ohio University course, you may receive transfer credit that fulfills the same requirements as that specific course.
  • Elective credit: If Ohio University does not offer a course similar to a course you have taken, you will receive elective credit. This credit will not count toward course requirements, but it will count toward the total number of hours needed for graduation.

Although you may have completed two or more years of coursework at a previous institution, it is likely you will have more than two years of coursework to complete degree requirements. After your transfer credit has been evaluated, ask your academic advisor about any credits you need to complete before graduation.

Important Dates
OHIO YouTube
East Green