Learn about Residential Housing

The residential campus experience at Ohio University is among the institution's greatest strengths. Nearly all first- and second-year students live in on-campus residence halls, which become centers for academic, social, cultural, and recreational activities.

If you are required to live on campus, the process of completing your Housing and Dining Services Contract and $200 deposit is critical to confirming your intent to enroll at OHIO and will enable you to receive an invitation to attend Orientation. International students may request to defer paying the housing deposit by e-mailing housing@ohio.edu.

If you are exempt from the University Housing Requirement, you may still live on-campus by completing the contract and deposit process.

Important Information about Residential Housing

Residential Housing Options and Costs

The Ohio University campus is divided into areas known as greens. In past years, students and parents new to Ohio University have placed a great deal of emphasis on green and/or room style selection, especially after a campus visit. Keep in mind that almost all university facilities can be reached within a 10- to 15-minute walk. Each residential green has at least one dining hall, a market, laundry facilities, and study areas. Additionally, most room styles and living environments are available on every green.

Bobcat Cash

Bobcat Cash is money put on a student account (a prepaid debit card) that can be used at the dining halls, university markets, vending, laundry centers, and various on-campus food-service and retail operations. Simply add money to this account and then use the Ohio University-issued ID card to access this service. A minimum deposit of $50 is needed to activate a Bobcat Cash account. Additional deposits can be added as needed throughout the academic year. Bobcat Cash cannot be used off-campus, does not allow for cash withdrawals, and cannot be used to purchase textbooks.

Bobcat Cash account balances will automatically carry over to each new semester and/or academic year, provided the cardholder remains a registered student of Ohio University. The maximum amount available per day is $100 or the entire balance, whichever is less. There is no limit on the frequency of transactions.

Transportation and Parking

In one respect, at least, Ohio University is like most other universities; parking is competitive both on campus and in town. Because parking is so limited, first-year undergraduate students are not permitted to register a motor vehicle on campus. But don't panic—the entire campus and uptown Athens are within easy walking or bicycling distance, and the Athens Community Transit bus service covers more distant areas.

However, if you are a new student to the Ohio University Athens campus but meet the 30 credit hour requirement, you are eligible to purchase a pass for either garage or outside lot parking. You can lease private parking in town if you have not met the 30 credit hour requirement but absolutely must bring a car.

About the Housing Contract and Deposit

Completing a housing and dining services contract and submitting a $200 housing deposit is the next step in finalizing admission to Ohio University. International students may waive the deposit by e-mailing housing@ohio.edu. You will be required to pay this when you arrive on campus. The most important aspect to remember is that the contract is binding for the entire academic year in which it is submitted. Be sure to read and familiarize yourself with the contract terms, dates, and deadlines.

Request for a refund must be made in writing to the Residential Housing Office by e-mailing housing@ohio.edu.

All undergraduate students with fewer than two academic years (six quarters/four semesters, full-time enrollment) in the residence halls must reside in university-owned housing and participate in the associated mandatory meal plan.

In some cases, students may be exempt from completing the residential requirement. Students wishing to be exempted from university housing and/or meal plan must submit a Housing Exemption/Termination Request Form for review and approval.

Building Styles & Living Environment Options

Air conditioning – Although the Athens climate is generally quite mild during the academic year, some students, especially those with asthma or other respiratory conditions, prefer air conditioning. Ohio University prohibits the installation of personal air conditioners and refrigeration units. If you have a medical condition that requires air conditioning, select a room designated with air conditioning during the room selection process. Only documented requests will be considered after the selection process ends.

Class Rank – Some halls are designated for first-year students only, some are mixed for first-year and upperclass students, and others are limited to upperclass students. Some halls may be set aside for graduate students and others who are over 21 years old.

Quiet Study – The "Quiet Study" designation in some residence halls means that music or other noise should not be audible outside of the rooms. All other halls have quiet-hour policies with varying times from Sunday through Thursday, and a 24-hour quiet policy is in effect across campus during final exams.

Single-Gender Halls – Housing offers one hall that is designated female only. Voigt is on the East Green. There are no male single-gender halls. Ohio University's Office of Residential Housing is sensitive to cultural and religious needs. Contact housing@ohio.edu concerning gender-specific requests.

Smoking – All Ohio University buildings are "smoke-free." However, we ask that students list whether or not they smoke for better roommate assignment.

Special Needs – Ohio University assures equitable access to education for persons with disabilities. Each green has rooms that are designed to accommodate students with disabilities. Students who require special accommodations will need to contact the Residential Housing Office and the Office of Student Accessibility Services. Medical documentation must be received to receive full consideration for available ADA-compliant spaces on campus. Requests will be reviewed prior to assignment and accommodations are determined on an individual basis. For additional information about campus disability services, visit the Office of Student Accessibility Services website or call 740.593.2620.

Substance-free – Students who have made a conscious lifestyle choice to substance-free living can select to live where all residents agree to keep their space free of alcohol, illegal drugs, and tobacco products—this policy also applies to guests.

Residence Hall Staff

The Department of Residential Housing has more than 300 staff members committed to making your living environment a community focused on learning, development, and acceptance. Below you will find descriptions of our in-hall staff and how they relate to you.

  • Resident Assistant (RA): Resident Assistants are students who have completed a training course designed to prepare them for working with students in the residence halls. They live on and manage a floor section and are the residence life staff members that a student will interact with most during the academic year. The RA is a great source of information and should be the first individual that is contacted when a student has a question or concern.
  • Administrative Resident Assistant (ARA): An Administrative Resident Assistant, like an RA, is a student who resides in and manages a floor section; however, this staff member has the added responsibility of helping the Residential Coordinator or Resident Director coordinate and manage administrative functions in the building in which he or she lives, typically handling room changes and keys.
  • Senior Resident Assistant (SRA): The Senior Resident Assistant, like an RA, is a student who resides in and manages a floor section. However, the SRA has the added responsibility of assisting the Hall’s Residential Coordinator or Resident Director in advising the hall council and coordinating hall programming efforts. In many complexes the SRA also handles ARA responsibilities.
  • Residential Coordinator (RC): The Residential Coordinator is the full-time on-site professional responsible for a hall or complex. His or her primary duty is to supervise the in-hall staff. Another important element of the RC's job is to work with all residents to establish a positive living environment and a sense of community. An RC acts in an advisory capacity on personal and academic issues and helps to interpret and uphold university policies.
  • Resident Director (RD): A Resident Director has the same responsibilities as the Residential Coordinator (although for a smaller area) and is a full-time graduate student.

  • Student Housing Handbook (pdf)


Important Dates
OHIO YouTube
East Green