Learn about commuter exemptions

Students who wish to be exempted from the university residential housing requirement and/or meal plan must request permission. The type of exemption request determines whether the request can be submitted online or using the downloadable paper form.

Students who plan to reside with parents, or legal guardians, and whose home (as defined by University guidelines) is within 50 driving miles of the University should complete the online Commuter Application for review and approval.

For all other types of exemptions, listed below, students must contact Residential Housing at housing@ohio.edu.

  • You are 23 years of age at the time you begin studying at Ohio University.
  • You have two years of attendance at another college or university after high school graduation.
  • You are married or have children and are living with your spouse or children within 50 miles of campus.
  • You have 18 months or more of active military service which began after your 18th birthday.
  • Students leaving Ohio University for any reason during the academic year and who return before the summer session of the same academic year are still obligated by the terms of their original housing contract, but are not guaranteed the same room upon return.

Note: Continuing undergraduate students with two years in residence at the beginning of the fall term and new transfer students with two years attendance at another institution earned post high school may reside in off-campus housing. The University bears no responsibility for the living conditions or problems arising therein with either the homeowner and/or the student resident.

Important Dates
OHIO YouTube
East Green