President’s Advisory Council for Sustainability Planning
September 20, 2011
Present: Jessica Bilecki, Jill Carlson, Sujit Chemburkar, Ed Newman, Wendy Parker, Geoff Buckley, Steve Scanlan Ben Stuart, Annie Laurie Cadmus and Michele Morrone (via telephone).
Minutes: Annie Laurie Cadmus
- The new Director of Sustainability introduced herself.
- Michele Morrone joined the group via Skype.
- Wendy Parker expressed the possibility that she may also need to join the group via Skype in the future.
- Annie Laurie Cadmus can arrange to accommodate Skype/Call-in needs if absent parties are able to notify her several days prior to the next meeting.
- There has been a transition of Co-Chairs as Michele Morrone steps down in preparation for sabbatical this year and Ben Stuart has returned to his previous position as Co-Chair. Annie Laurie Cadmus, the new Director of Sustainability, will be assuming the remaining Co-Chair position.
- All members have confirmed their ability to maintain membership in the group except for one student, Erin Dame. We will work to fill that position this quarter.
- Sustainability Plan
- A concern was raised regarding Footnote #22.
- DECISION: This plan has been approved by the President and is, therefore, a question of implementation and not plan creation. Sustainability Plan implementation is the responsibility of Ecology and Energy Conservation Committee. PACSP will draft a proposed addendum to this item to offer to EECC. Steve Scanlan, Chairperson of EECC, was present at this meeting and agreed that this decision was acceptable.
- This raises the question regarding what to do for future proposed changes to the plan.
- DECISION: Any OU representative is able to submit requests for changes if they provide acceptable supporting documents/information to rationalize the request. These requests will be reviewed on a regular basis by EECC (timeframe TBD by EECC). If approved, all changes must be noted as an addendum to the Plan so as not to alter the original document.
- Climate Action Plan
- Since extensive vetting occurred with the Sustainability Plan, a discussion occurred regarding the level of vetting that will need to be involved with the Climate Action Plan. It was decided that vetting may need to occur on an item by item basis, but that some items that are already included in the Sustainability Plan can shift into a Climate Action Plan without additional vetting.
- PACSP members expressed interest in developing a skeleton plan based on previous climate-related conversations that occurred with the Sustainability Plan creation. Annie Laurie Cadmus will provide a historical summary of past documented conversations as well as proposed items for inclusion in a Climate Action Plan draft to allow for deeper conversations at the next meeting.
- All PACSP members were asked to consider possible OU faculty, staff or students (with an emphasis on Research Assistants or Graduate Assistants) who may be necessary members of an ad-hoc committee for the Climate Action Plan. Formal recommendations will be made at the next meeting.
- Member Reports
- Ed Newman expressed an interest in the Council actively engaging in certain areas of implementation, citing specific interest in construction waste.
- Upcoming Meetings
- Annie Laurie Cadmus to schedule upcoming meetings via Outlook Calendar.
- If any handouts are ever needed for upcoming meetings, they will be printed for you. Members need not print any agendas or other items that are emailed unless told otherwise.