Federal guidelines require updating employee ethnicity data
Jan 6, 2010
From staff reports
The U.S. Department of Education has adopted new guidelines for obtaining and reporting race and ethnicity data for employees of all educational institutions.
As a result of these changes, Ohio University faculty and staff who have not yet done so should update their information using the university's My Personal Information system.
In the past, employees were limited to choosing one category to describe racial or ethnic identity. The new method, which is required by the federal government, includes a two-part question that addresses ethnicity as well as racial heritage, and allows an employee to choose more than one category to describe his or her racial identity.
To make your update:
- Access "My Personal Information" by visiting www.ohio.edu/ebiz/myhr.html
- Select "Other Misc. Information"
- At question 3, "Race: Are You Hispanic or Latino?" Click "Select," enter a Y or N in the box provided, then click "Apply."
- At question 4, "Race: Select one or more of the races with which you identify" Click "Select," enter a Y or N in each of the boxes for which you would like to respond, then click "Apply."
- Click on "Home" to go back to the My Personal Information main menu.
For more information about the changes to the federal guidelines for reporting race and ethnicity, please go to www.ohio.edu/equity/Race.cfm or www.sheeo.org/ipeds/race-eth-home.htm*.
* Following this link takes you outside Ohio University's Web site.
Published: Jan 6, 2010 8:36 AM