Leadership Essentials Program for administrators launched in January
New cohort examines leadership
Feb 9, 2010
From staff reports
The Leadership Essentials Program, offered by Leadership and Staff Development in University Human Resources, began Jan. 21. President Roderick J. McDavis welcomed participants and provided opening comments on effective leadership to the 15-member cohort of Group 1 faculty and administrators. This highly interactive program analyzes leadership and examines issues cohort members currently face -- or anticipate facing in the future.
"This new program offers a collegial setting in which participants have the opportunity to perform critical analysis of the challenges Ohio University faces," McDavis said. "And, while these individuals are gaining valuable professional development experience, the university will benefit from their fresh perspectives on transforming the university for the future."
Cohort members' strengths and opportunities for growth are identified through performance metric tools such as self assessments and 360° assessments, which are completed by each cohort member's supervisor and a number of peers.
Skills acquired through the Leadership Essentials Program will be used to develop solutions to actual issues taking place in cohort members' individual departments or units. These discussions and responses will relate to identified campus-wide issues, including budget, collaboration, Vision OHIO and continuous improvement. Proposed answers will be outlined in individual leadership projects presented to the cohort and guests at the final session on March 11.
The Leadership Essentials cohort meets for five three-hour sessions from Jan. 21 through March 11, 2010. The program provides cohort members with experience to enhance business functions. It will also provide members with opportunities to interact with university executives, subject matter experts and colleagues to exchange ideas and build collaborative relationships. Upon completion of the program, participants will receive a Leadership Essentials Certificate of Completion.
Members of the current pilot cohort are:
- Jackie Wolf, social medicine, College of Medicine
- Missy Kemper, Area Health Education Center and Community Health, College of Medicine
- Ginny Valentin, admissions, College of Medicine
- Colette McLemore, multicultural programs, College of Medicine
- Gwen Brooks, University Human Resources
- Andrew Powers, Ohio University Police Department
- Sherry Downs, Office of the Bursar
- Julie Allison, business operations, Office of Finance and Administration
- Mark Krumel, University Communications and Marketing
- Shawn Mallett, Voinovich School of Leadership and Public Affairs
- Sheida Shirvani, communication, Zanesville campus
- Donna Capezzuto, library, Eastern campus
- Matthew Dalton, Office of Information Technology
- Jneanne Hacker, Residential Housing Office
- Larry Lafferty, Office of Development
The Leadership Essentials Program will be offered again in September 2010. Please check online at www.ohio.edu/hr/skill/leadership_essentials.cfm for details in the coming months regarding application, dates and session information.
Published: Feb 9, 2010 11:12 AM