Sept. 18, 2007
Photos by Rick Fatica
This year's freshman class was born in 1988 (when George H.W. Bush was elected U.S. president over Michael Dukakis, Pan Am Flight 103 was blown up over Lockerbie, Scotland, and zebra mussels were discovered in the Great Lakes) and 1989 (the year the Berlin Wall fell, the Exxon Valdez spilled 240,000 barrels of oil into Alaska's Prince William Sound and Florida executed infamous serial killer Ted Bundy).
In the past two decades, technological advances have increased with the speed of light, and life as we knew it at the end of the 1980s has changed dramatically. Here, we offer some fun facts about members of the Class of 2011 and life as they know it. Those marked with an asterisk (*) come from the reputed Beloit College (Wisc.) Mindset List, celebrating its 10th year.
- A Bush or Clinton has always been president of the United States -- and will be until they're at least 23 if Hillary wins.
- As students, they'll always know Baker University Center as the center of campus.
- They joined the world at the same time as the Web.*
- They have grown up with bottled water.*
- Rap music has always been mainstream.*
- They never saw Johnny Carson on live television.*
- Three Ohio University presidents -- Charles Ping, Robert Glidden and Roderick McDavis -- have served in their lifetime.
- "Off the hook" never had anything to do with a telephone.*
- Al Gore has always been running for president -- or thinking about it.*
- In Ohio, the drinking age has always been 21.
- They were introduced to Jack Nicholson as "The Joker."*
- Stadiums, rock tours and sporting events have always had corporate names.*
- Fox has always been a major television network.*
- The Front Room has always been a coffee shop.
- They joined the world the same year as Daniel Radcliffe, the child actor who would become Harry Potter, and as American Idol finalist Sanjaya Malakar.
- They drove their parents crazy with the Beavis and Butt-Head laugh. *
- No one has ever been able to sit down comfortably to a meal of "liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti."*
- Women's studies majors have always been offered on college campuses.*
- Ohio University has always had a medical school.
- They learned about JFK from Oliver Stone and Malcolm X from Spike Lee.*
- Tiananmen Square is a 2008 Olympics venue, not the scene of a massacre.*
- Halloween in Athens has always been synonymous with a street party.
- Time has always worked with Warner.*
- Jerry Springer has always been lowering the level of discourse on TV.*
- They're always texting 1 n other.*
- They could have attended the Athens International Film and Video Festival every year since they were born.
- The space program never really caught their attention except in disasters.*
- ML Food packages have always carried nutrition labels.*
- The Ohio University campus has been free from Hocking River floods!
- Nelson Mandela has always been free and a powerful force in South Africa.*
Do you have any to add? Send an e-mail to email@example.com with "mindset" in the subject line.
* taken from Beloit College Mindset List.
Other Sources: Betty Hollow's "Ohio University, 1804-2004: The Spirit of a Singular Place," and Wikipedia