The deadline for returning the 2008-09 Benefit Open Enrollment form, a once-a-year opportunity to adjust coverage, is Wednesday, May 21.
Any changes employees make during open enrollment are binding during the benefits plan year (July 1, 2008, through June 30, 2009) for those identified as covered.
If circumstances in a family change, however, employees can make necessary benefit plan adjustments at other times. Circumstances that qualify include:
- birth or adoption of a child
- death of a covered dependent
- change in employment status (for example, going from part-time to full-time)
- change in insurance coverage of a covered dependent
- beginning or ending a domestic partnership
- change in a dependent's student status such as age or withdrawal from college)
Human Resources mailed benefit open enrollment forms to employees' homes this week. The materials detail current coverage and allow employees to make changes to their benefit plans.
There will be no changes to the benefits options for the upcoming plan year. Premiums will be reduced by a slight amount, however.
For information on this year's benefits open enrollment process, visit www.ohio.edu/hr/openenrollment.cfm.