Fifteen Ohio University faculty members honored for 'Excellence in Education'
Ohio Magazine award program recognizes the state's best in higher education
ATHENS, Ohio (Nov. 28, 2006) -- For Mary Rogus, even the thrill of the television news industry cannot compare to the feeling of having impacted students' lives as a professor at Ohio University's E.W. Scripps School of Journalism.
"I continue teaching because I love it," she said. "The time I spend with students takes me right back to my first days in the business -- the enthusiasm, the desire to make a difference and the jazz of breaking news."
It is this type of dedication to the teaching profession that has earned Rogus and 14 other Ohio University faculty members recognition in Ohio Magazine's 2006 "Excellence in Education" program. The December 2006 issue of the magazine will feature winners in the program, which recognizes 150 of Ohio's top professors. The issue hits newsstands Nov. 30.
"With such dedicated and talented professors in our classrooms, we are able to give students the best possible learning experience. That's one of our key goals at Ohio University," said Provost Kathy Krendl.
The school's awardees come from four different campuses -- Athens, Zanesville, Chillicothe and Southern -- and from disciplines from physics to theater. Margaret McAdams, a professor of art at Ohio University-Chillicothe who earned the "Excellence in Education" honor, said she takes pride in her students' success.
"I hope to instill a sense of self-confidence in my students," she said. "I don't separate teaching from producing art."
Ohio University professors acknowledged in Ohio Magazine's "Excellence in Education" program are:
- Donna Clevinger, associate dean and professor of theater, Zanesville
- Robert Culp, lecturer of chemistry and environmental science, Southern
- David Drabold, distinguished professor of physics, Athens
- Chao-Yang Lee, assistant professor of hearing, speech and language sciences, Athens
- Robert Leith, instructor of history, Southern
- Dave Lucas, associate professor of communication, Southern
- Margaret McAdams, professor of fine arts, Chillicothe
- Brad McCombs, assistant professor of fine arts, Southern
- Hannah Nissen, associate professor of early childhood education, Zanesville
- Vicky Parker, assistant professor of nursing, Chillicothe
- Linda Rice, assistant professor of English, Athens
- Mary Rogus, associate professor of journalism, Athens
- Charles Savage, instructor of music, Zanesville
- Lynn Walsh, assistant professor of education, Southern
- Gerald Westgerdes, professor of fine arts, Zanesville
[ 30 ]
Media Contact: Media Relations Coordinator Jessica Stark at 740-597-2938 or email@example.com