May 29, 2007
More than 40 pieces of art by 22 individuals are currently on display in the Bennett Hall Patricia Scott Memorial Gallery through Friday during the 16th Annual Ohio University-Chillicothe Student Art Show. The show illustrates the diverse range of artistic tastes and talents in the OU-C community.
"This exhibition was established to recognize the vast array of creative pursuits in the visual arts that are being explored by OU-C students," OU-C Professor of Art Margaret McAdams said. "The study of art -- whether drawing, three-dimensional studies, painting, photography or ceramics -- encourages the creative exploration of ideas and materials. That is the essence of the artwork currently on display.
"The majority of student-artists featured in the show are not art majors. Most of the art courses at OU-C are open to anyone interested in art, whether they have experience or just want to try something new," McAdams said.
For example, many of the paintings that are displayed are from this quarter's "Introduction to Painting" course that is designed for non-art majors.
Sarah Dilley, who holds a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in painting, has been chosen by the OU-C art faculty to judge this year's show.
Much of the artwork is for sale and can be purchased by contacting the artist. Contact information is available with the works.
A closing reception will be held from 6:45 p.m. to 7:45 p.m. Friday, June 1.
Patricia Scott Memorial Gallery hours are 9 a.m. - 8 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. on Fridays. The gallery is free and open to the public.
Award winners for the 2007 student art show:
- Best of Show: Andy Gigley, NaCl, Color photograph
- First Place: Jessy Pearson, Rustic Ring Bottle, Ceramics
- Second Place: Stella Carroll, Self-portrait, Watercolor on paper
- Third Place: Gary LeMaster, Lost Souls (tryptich), Acrylic on canvas
- Pamela McGinnis, Cups! Cups! Cups!, Ceramics
- Travis Denen, Gears are grinding slow...As I wrench t'ward infinite
- places we can't go, Vine charcoal and graphite on paper
- Brandi Weaver, Damien, Acrylic on canvas
- Karalea Lane, Home Sounds, Photograph
- Kimberly Leasure, Untitled, Mixed media on canvas
- Brigette Caudill, Deep Purple, Mixed media