ATHENS, Ohio (May 13, 2005) -- The five winning video concepts for the Buzz Contest were announced at the Buzz Premiere on Thursday, May 12, at the Athena Cinema.
The Buzz Contest was developed as a way for students to address the negative effects of high-risk drinking from a peer-to-peer approach by developing concepts for public service announcements. The winning concepts were written, directed and produced by students. Winners were chosen by student focus groups.
The Buzz winners include:
- Seniors Alex Stothfang, visual communication major, and Mark Potoka, graphic design major, for their concept and video, "Beer"
- Senior visual communication students Candace Bates, Katie Keehner and Josh Sorden, and graduate visual communication student Pam Wise for their concept and video, "The Buzzman"
- Senior telecommunication students Matt McManus and Billy Radin for their concept and video, "Past the Buzz"
- Sophomore marketing students Lindsay Arnett, Kaan Gencer, Katie Szantho and Maureen Woods for their concept, "Stop at the Buzz" (The video was produced, directed and edited by junior telecommunications major Daryl Royer, who is a PACE worker for University Communications and Marketing)
- Freshman creative writing major Erin Bishop for her concept, "You Can't Change the Past" (The video was produced, directed and edited by senior telecommunication majors Scott Ivers, Jake Blumenau and Tyler Andrews)
Each winning team was presented $500 in Athens Area Chamber of Commerce gift certificates and their videos were viewed for the first time at the event.
The Buzz Contest is part of the "Stop at the Buzz" campaign, which is a student-developed social marketing campaign sponsored by the Ohio University Department of Health Education and Wellness to address high-risk alcohol consumption. The current campaign messages were developed through student focus groups.
The campaign's goals are to reduce the number of Ohio University students who engage in high-risk drinking and make students aware of low-risk drinking guidelines. The campaign is further designed to increase students' knowledge of the correlation between high-risk drinking and negative consequences, the Ohio University alcohol policy, city and state laws associated with alcohol use.
Students will have the opportunity to vote for their favorite video beginning at noon, Friday, May 13, at www.ohio.edu/buzz. A grand prize winner will be chosen from the five videos and the PSA will be submitted for a regional Emmy.
The Buzz Contest is sponsored by Ohio University's Department of Health Education and Wellness and University Communications and Marketing. University Courtyard/Housing for Ohio Inc. funded the contest along with personal contributions from Ohio University Foundation Board members J. Patrick Campbell, James Daley, Wilfred Konneker, Frank Krasovec and Charles Stuckey.
For more information or to schedule interviews with Buzz Contest winners, contact Media Assistant Marisa Long, (740) 597-2938 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
[ 30 ]
Media Contact: Media Assistant Marisa Long, (740) 597-2938 or email@example.com