Thirteen students recommended to final round in Fulbright competition
ATHENS, Ohio (Feb. 8, 2005) -- Thirteen Ohio University students have been recommended to the final round of competition in the Fulbright U.S. Student Program. This ties Ohio University's record, set last year, for the highest number of recommended students in this prestigious national competition. The students, who have applied to nine countries, represent programs in five colleges, as well as the Center for International Studies. Last year, nine Ohio University students won the prestigious award setting a record for the highest number of Fulbright recipients for the university.
The candidates will find out if they are to receive a Fulbright award between March and June. Those who do receive the award will spend the 2005-2006 academic year abroad working on projects funded by the Fulbright program. The recommended students, the countries to which they have applied, the discipline of their projects and their Ohio University majors are:
- Rollin Beamish, who is a recent graduate of the master of fine arts program in painting, has applied to Germany for painting.
- Robert Davis, a doctoral student in history, has applied to Norway in modern history.
- Carolyn Drake, who is a master's student in visual communications, has applied to Ukraine for photography.
- Zachary Garinger, who is an international studies major, has applied to Malaysia for a teaching assistantship.
- Bryan Morris, who is a master's student in International Development Studies, has applied to Indonesia to study Southeast Asian Studies.
- Sarah Overholt, who is a master's student in Latin American Studies, has applied to Mexico to study public health.
- Tim Pappa, who is pursuing a master's in Southeast Asian Studies, has applied to Indonesia, Islamic Civilization Initiative for the journalism discipline.
- Kara Petrosky, who is a German education major, has applied to Germany for a teaching assistantship.
- Adrienne Porter, who is a Spanish education major, has applied to Chile for a teaching assistantship.
- Ann Shoemake, who is a doctoral student in communication studies, has applied to Indonesia in the communication discipline.
- Bethany Untied, who is majoring in French, has applied to Belgium/Luxembourg for a teaching assistantship.
- Sonita Wachtel, who is pursuing a master's in Southeast Asian Studies and in business administration, has applied to Malaysia to study business and management.
- Gregory Wittler, who is pursing a bachelor of fine arts in sculpture and photography, has applied to Iceland to further study sculpture.
Assistant director of the Center for International Studies and Ohio University's U.S. Fulbright Program advisor Beth Clodfelter commends all of the Fulbright U.S. Student Program applicants. "Having 13 students advance to the final round of competition is a testament to the quality education available at Ohio University and to the exemplary work of these outstanding students. It also reflects the invaluable guidance and support that faculty members are generously offering Fulbright applicants."
Clodfelter expressed her appreciation to the more than 80 faculty members across campus who assisted Ohio University students in the Fulbright application process by, assisting them with designing their projects, participating in campus interviews, writing letters of recommendation and administering foreign language evaluations.
Students interested in applying for the 2006-2007 Fulbright U.S. Student Program, who are U.S. citizens and who will be seniors, masters or doctoral students next fall, as well as younger students who would like to receive information early, are invited to attend one of the following Fulbright U.S. Student Program information session, all of which will be held in Baker Center room 332:
- Monday, March 14, from 4 to 5 p.m.
- Tuesday, March 15, from 3 to 4 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 16, from 11 a.m. to noon
For more information, please contact Beth Clodfelter, the Fulbright Program adviser, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (740) 593-2302 or visit Ohio University's Fulbright Web page at http://www.ohiou.edu/internationalstudies/fulbright.htm.
[ 30 ]
Media Contact: Beth Clodfelter, (740) 593-2302 or email@example.com, or Jennifer Cochran, (740) 593-1842 or firstname.lastname@example.org