BMT 1010 PBC
BMT 1010—Business and Its Environment
Three Semester Hours
Nature of business and of economic, social, and political environments of business firms. Emphasis on ways in which such surroundings affect business policies and operations.
Methods of Course Instruction
All material for this course is print-based. Instructor and students communicate and exchange materials through postal mail.
In this course, an option exists to use e-mail to submit your lesson assignments. Your assignment will be returned to you either as an e-mail attachment or as a hard copy sent through the postal mail, depending on the preferences of the instructor and/or program.
William M. Pride; Robert J. Hughes; Jack R. Kapoor. Foundations of Business. 6th ed. South- Western, Cengage Learning, 2019. [ISBN: 9781337386920]
Number of Lessons
The course has eight lessons, including one midcourse project and a final examination:
- Lesson 1: The Environment of Business
- Lesson 2: Business Ownership and Entrepreneurship
- Lesson 3: Management and Organization
- Lesson 4: Human Resources
- Lesson 5: Marketing
- Lesson 6: Information, Accounting and Finance
- Lesson 7: The Rational Problem-Solving/Decision-Making Model
- Lesson 8: Final Examination
It should be noted that some of the lessons are divided into multiple sections.
Breakdown of Lessons
Each lesson (with the exception of Lessons 7 and 8) will contain the following elements:
- Reading Assignment—This will come from the course text with one non-textbook contained reading (which, instead, appears in the appendix of this course guide). Students will need to ensure they have read and absorbed the lesson assignment before attempting the remaining elements of the lesson.
- Key Learning Objectives by Chapter—This will be a quick list of key learning objectives emphasized for each chapter in each lesson.
- Lesson Quiz—Each quiz will consist of 25 multiple-choice and true/false questions covering core concepts from the lesson. Students will demonstrate their understanding of the material via their responses. These are worth 25 points toward the total 50-point lesson grade. The Lesson Quiz responses will be submitted when you have completed all the chapters in the lesson.
- Case Analysis—This will consist of three applied learning questions related to the required reading for the lesson. The questions will be used to demonstrate your applied understanding of several core concepts from the lesson. This element will be worth 25 of the 50 points in the lesson.
The cumulative score on Lessons 1–7 will account for 75 percent of your grade for this course.
Your final grade for the course will be determined as follows:
- Lessons 1–7, Cumulative Lesson Quizzes and Case Analysis work — 75 percent
- Lesson 8, Final Examination — 25 percent
Letter grades A, B, C, D, and F will be used in recording your final grade, according to the following scale:
- A = 90% or above
- B = 80–89%
- C = 70–79%
- D = 60–69%
- F = Below 60%