One or two year renewable SSL certificate for verifying the identity of a server and encrypting traffic to and from that server. Certificates can be issued for both production and test environments. Multi-domain options also are available. Typical uses include:
- A web server that is hosted locally on the ohio.edu network.
- A cloud service that is assigned an ohio.edu domain name.
- Faculty and staff
- Must be in the ohio.edu domain. If your server does not yet have an ohio.edu name, you will need to request a Custom Web Address.
- Local servers must be connected to the University's main network and hosted on appropriate equipment: no residence hall room or guest network use, and no desktop or personal computers.
- Official University business only.
- No financial transactions.
- No storing or handling of sensitive data.
- No replication of core IT functions.
How to Request
There currently is no charge to request a certificate. Send an email to email@example.com from your OHIO email address that includes the following:
- A completed Certificate Signing Request (CSR). Please use a fully qualified ohio.edu domain name when you create your CSR.
- Description of the server and its purpose.
- List of OHIO email addresses that should be notified when the certificate is about to expire.
- Preferred expiration: one year or two.
- If you would like this certificate to be a Multi-Domain certificate, include a list of all Subject Alternative Names (SAN).
- This statement as part of the body of your email:
"I agree to abide by Ohio University's Computer & Network Use policy 91.003 and the Comodo One end user license agreement."