Generate Surveys or Evaluations: Class Climate
Surveys can be generated once courses are loaded into Class Climate. Full term courses are loaded 4 weeks prior to the course end date. Courses that run less than the full term (e.g. Summer sessions or 5- or 7-week programs) load two weeks prior to the course end date. At least 5 students must be enrolled in the course for it to load to the system.
Generate Surveys in Class Climate
- Ensure the Subunits screen is open (Subunits link is highlighted at the top of the screen).
- Click the Generate Surveys option from the Central Evaluation menu along the left side of the screen.
- On the next screen, select the subunit you wish to survey, along with the survey period, course types, questionnaire, and course(s).
- In the lower right side of the screen, select the options labeled “PSWD based” and “Use Time Control,” then click Generate Surveys.
NOTE: The Time Control option enables you to program when your survey begins and ends, as well as when the reminder emails are sent.
- In the following Scheduled Tasks window, be sure there are email addresses listed in the Recipients field. If there aren’t any, there was a problem with the course data load that will need to be fixed before you can proceed.
- Click the Activate button to activate the tab labeled “1. PSWD to respondents.” Click the calendar icon and select the date/time you want the survey invitation/links mailed. Click Apply to All and then OK to apply this date to the rest of the surveys in this subunit, or click Save if you want to apply the date to only this one evaluation.
- Click the Edit button on the tab labeled “2. Online survey reminder,” then click the Activatebutton. Configure how often you want reminders sent out to respondents to take the survey, and how often (e.g. set reminders to begin Monday and repeat every two days). Click Apply to All and then OK to apply this configuration to rest of the surveys in this subunit, or click Save to apply the configuration to only this one evaluation.
- Click the Edit button on the tab labeled “3. Response Rate Notification,” then click the Activatebutton. Click the calendar icon, choose a date midway through the evaluation period, and enter a percentage in the field labeled “Notification at a response rate below.” Click Apply to All and then OK to apply this configuration to rest of the surveys in this subunit, or click Save to apply the configuration to only this one evaluation.
NOTE: The Response Rate Notification task will send an email to any instructor whose course doesn’t have a response rate that meets the percentage you entered by the date you entered, prompting them to remind students to complete the evaluation.
- Click the Edit button on the tab labeled “4. Finish survey,” then click the Activate button. Select the date you want the survey to end (typically this is sometime on the Sunday before or Monday of finals week). No further evaluation responses will be accepted after this date.
- DO NOT select the option labeled “Automatic report dispatch (PDF) to the instructor(s) after closing the survey,” since you’ll will likely wish to wait until final grades are posted before distributing results to instructors.
- Click Apply to All and then OK to apply this end date to rest of the surveys in this subunit, or click Save to apply the end date to only this one evaluation.
- The surveys are now configured. To confirm, click the Administrative Dashboard of Scheduled Tasks link in the Central Evaluation menu. Apply the appropriate filters and click the Show button to view the surveys and the scheduled tasks configured for each. Confirm that the tasks you previously configured show an "Open" status and tasks you did not configure (if any) show a "Deactivated" status. Once a task is completed, the status should read "Executed." If an error occurred during the execution of a task, the status may read "Executed with errors" followed by an icon of a blue circle with an "i" on it. You can click this icon to see a description of the error.