To Create an Assignment/SafeAssignment within a Course
NOTE: As of the May 2015 Bb upgrade, SafeAssignments are no longer a separate assessment type. The SafeAssign plagiarism detection service is now an option to select during the creation of a Bb Assignment.
- Open the course to contain the assignment.
- Navigate to the course content area where the assignment should be by selecting the corresponding link in the Course Menu at the left of the screen.
- Click on the Assessments button in the Action Bar, located under the page title, to reveal a drop‐down menu, then select Assignment.
- On the “Create Assignment” page, fill in the assignment's name and instructions and attach any necessary files with the Browser options provided.
- Set a due date, if desired, using the calendar and clock icons.
- Enter a value for the Points Possible field.
- Associate an existing Rubric or create a new one, if desired.
- Click the Submission Details link to expand the options:
- Choose Individual Submission or Group Submission.
- Select the number of attempts to allow.
- Choose whether to "Check submissions for plagiarism using SafeAssign" and enacted, also decide:
- To allow students to see Originality Reports
- To exclude submissions from the Institutional and Global Reference Databases
NOTE: Exclusion from the Institutional and Global Reference Databases will prevent the comparison of all subsequent student submissions to the papers submitted to this particular assignment. These circumstances may be desirable for assignments serving as "draft" submissions prior to a final submission for a grade.
- Click the Grading Options link to expand the settings:
- Choose to Enable Anonymous Grading and set a date on which to disable submission anonymity.
- Decide if you wish to Enable Delegated Grading and assign submissions to potential graders.
NOTE: See separate Delegated Grading FAQ and documentation for details.
- Click the Display of Grades link to expand the options:
- Choose the Primary and Secondary display formats from the drop-down lists
- Decide whether the scores for this assignment will be included in the Grade Center calculations
- Decide whether the grades will be shown to students in My Grades
- Choose if grade statistics for this item will be shown to students in My Grades
- Next check the box to Make the Assignment Available.
- If the assignment is made available, you can also set the Limit Availability settings for Display After and Display Until to prevent students from seeing the assignment outside of the dates/times chose here.
- Choose to include this assignment in the Statistics Tracking feature by selecting the box for Track Number of Views if you wish to use the Course Reports tool at a later time.
- Click Submit to save.
Upon the creation of the assignment, the system will create a corresponding grade column in the Grade Center. This column is tied to the assignment and cannot be deleted so long as the assignment remains. Student submissions will be automatically deposited into the Grade Center column and this is where the attempts are accessed for viewing and grading. More details about viewing and grading assignment attempts are included in the separate documentation on the subject of opening student submissions.
To Edit an Assignment’s Options
You might want to go back to an Assignment and change some of the options that govern its’ functioning, for example, to make the Assignment available to users at a date later than its’ creation.
- Open the course in which you created the Assignment.
- Make sure the “Edit Mode” is “ON.”
- Navigate to the appropriate Content Area.
- Mouse over the relevant assignment name and click on the gray circle icon next to the Assignment title to reveal a drop-down menu.
- Select Edit from the drop-down menu.
NOTE: At this point you could also delete the Assignment, or select another option
from the menu, including Adaptive Release and Tracking, which are described in other
- Make the changes you wish to apply to the Assignment.
- Click Submit.