Student Response System: Top Hat
August 18, 2020 - Top Hat has upgraded the platform to include new features for all users. Faculty and students alike will now have access to Top Hat Pro which includes new features to assist with the online learning experience. Learn more about the improvements in Top Hat Pro Features.
Student response system that uses students' personal devices (smart phones, tablets, laptops, etc.) combined with interactive slides to facilitate classroom discussions, track attendance, and conduct real time polls or quizzes. Outside of the classroom, Top Hat offers an Interactive Text platform where instructors can adopt, customize, or create Open Educational Resources for their courses in place of traditional textbooks.
How to Access
- All users will sign in using their Ohio University credentials
- Track attendance in real time attendance using course-specific join codes
- Configure geolocation for location-based attendance tracking
- Blackboard Integration
- Sync your Top Hat course with your Blackboard course roster and gradebook
- Interactive Slides
- Ask quiz questions and display answers in real time
- Make edits to presentations on the fly
- Open Educational Resources
- Design and deliver low-cost content via the Top Hat Platform
- Curate content from a variety of Marketplace items
- Use a wide variety of question types
- Embed questions directly into lectures
- Individualize assignments for specific students
- Exams & Quizzes
- Lock down students' browser windows at no cost
- Randomize questions on your exams
- Leave comments/feedback for students when handing back exams
- Virtual Classroom
- Use live video streams and chat to engage students
- Record class lectures for later access
- Integrate Top Hat with Slate for course-specific communication
- Slate Community Chat
- Paired with the virtual classroom to provide real time chat capabilities
- Allows for break out groups and group work in a virtual setting
- Keeps record of all course communication in one location
- A fee-based remote proctoring solution is available, but instructors who wish to administer a proctored exam should use OIT's preferred online proctoring solution, Proctortrack
All current instructors and students are eligible for a Top Hat account at no cost.
How to Request
- Instructors - Visit the registration page to sign up for an account using the Ohio University credentials.
- Students - No request needed. If your instructor uses Top Hat, you will receive an email invitation to join the course.