Introducing Blackboard Ultra Base Navigation for Fall 2020
How did we get here?
OHIO’s Learning Management System (LMS), Blackboard Learn, is core to the online learning experience for many OHIO students. On August 20, 2020, we introduced a new, streamlined landing page in Blackboard Learn that allows students and instructors to more easily access important course information, including learning materials, grades, messages, calendars, and relevant links arranged in an Activity feed. The new layout makes Blackboard Learn more accessible for students using mobile devices and provides a simple, consistent experience regardless of how it is accessed.
Over the past year, we received excellent feedback from our faculty, students, and administrators, whether through our LMS Survey in January 2020, or through OIT’s Service Desk, consultations, or advisory communities. This update to the LMS is just one part of a larger framework to support the OHIO community.
What do you need to know?
First, please note that only the home page is changing. Your courses and organizations will remain the same.
In our current version of Blackboard, you navigate by using Tabs (the links across the top of the Blackboard home screen) and Modules (the boxes of information contained on those tabs).
In the new navigation (known as Ultra Base Navigation), the information provided in those old Tabs and Modules is now listed in a menu down the left side of the screen. For those of you who use the Blackboard mobile applications, this should be very familiar.
Instructors: take a video tour of the new interface here.
Left Hand Navigation
- Institution Page: Contains important news as well as helpful information about university offices.
- Profile: Allows you to manage your online persona and modify your notification settings.
- Activity Stream: See what’s new and coming up across all your courses and organizations.
- Courses: Quickly navigate your courses using search, filter, and favorites.
- Organizations: Quickly navigate your organizations using search, filter, and favorites.
- Calendar: View all due dates and events in your courses and organizations.
- Messages: Stay connected by viewing and sending messages to/from all your courses in one place.
- For instructors: See what needs to be graded across all your courses, and start grading with just one click.
- For students: Check your grades for all your courses with just one click.
- Tools: Access the tools that live outside of your courses, such as Portfolios.
Creating a Test Course
With Ultra Base Navigation, the steps for creating a test course have changed.
For those of you who use Qwickly, here is how you can access it in the new Blackboard view.
- Go to blackboard.ohio.edu and login with your OHIO email and password.
- Select the Organizations page from the navigation menu at left.
- In the upper right corner of the page, click the Organization Catalog link.
- Confirm the Search Catalog fields are set to "Name" and "Contains" (defaults), then input "Qwickly" to the search field.
- Click the Go button to initiate a catalog search.
- On the results page, hover your mouse over "Create_Test_Qwickly" in the Organization ID column to reveal a menu icon to the right of the ID.
- Open the menu and select Enroll.
- Click Submit.
- Confirm a success message is displayed, then click OK to enter the organization.
- NOTE: The above steps are only necessary the first time you access Qwickly. Once you've self-enrolled in the "Create a Test Course and Qwickly" organization, you can access it anytime from your enrollments on the Organizations page
- On the Start Here page, you will be able to access Qwickly.
The Blackboard Portfolio Tool is now available.
Students can find information about Portfolios in our Student Help pages under Course Content.
Instructors can find information about Portfolios in our Instructor Help pages under Course Content.
New Course Menu
A new course menu for Blackboard courses went into place beginning with the Second Summer Session 2020 courses.
Please check back often as this page is being updated frequently.