Course Retention Standard: Blackboard Learn
To define which courses should remain in our Learning Management System's (Blackboard's) database, and for how long. The standard will specify what courses qualify for deletion and when the deletion activity occurs so that we can keep Blackboard Learn current and manage course data according to industry best practices, such as practices of IUC (Inter-University Council of Ohio) peer institutions.
Blackboard courses will be available to instructors within Blackboard for 2 years after the course's end date, plus the semester the course is last taught in. Two years after the course's end date the course is automatically archived and is no longer available to be seen in Blackboard but can be restored upon request submitted to the IT Service Desk at email@example.com.
Starting May 1, 2021 all courses that have been archived for longer than 5 years will be subject to permanent deletion from Blackboard. The course deletion process will occur every semester.
The standard applies to all for-credit courses that have been archived for 5 years or more (7.5 years after the course start date). The impacted courses will have Blackboard Course IDs that look like this example, MATH_1000_001_LAB_SPRG_2010-11.
Instructors are also encouraged to create and keep a local export (copy) of their own courses. Exports of courses will include content created by the instructor but automatically exclude any student work or submissions. Instructions on local copy exports are available here. Instructors who wish to review an archived course can contact the IT Service Desk for help.
The following definitions will be used for the description of the course retention standard:
- Blackboard Course: All for-credit courses are automatically created in Blackboard 8 weeks prior to the start date of that course.
- Archived Courses: All Blackboard courses are automatically archived 2 years after the end date of the course, so they are no longer visible in Blackboard.
- Course End Date: The end date of the course (not the semester end date).
- Course Restoration: A process completed by the IT Service Desk to restore a previously archived course, so that faculty members see them again in their Blackboard course view.
Exceptions to this standard are:
- Test courses, those with Blackboard Course IDs that look like this for example, Test_ohioid_FEB_19_2021-1.
- Manually created courses (for example, master courses).
- Courses whose Blackboard Course IDs do not match either of the above example patterns.
You can request an exception for your course by submitting a request here.
Instructions for submitting a ticket:
- Click on Create a Ticket
- Select the appropriate Campus
- Under "Which best describes your issue?" select the Blackboard (LMS)
- The Additional Information section can be left blank
- In the Title enter "Course Retention Exception Request"
- In the Description field, please provide the Blackboard Course ID(s) for the course(s) you would like to be exempt from deletion
- Preferred format would be, for example, MATH_1000_100_LEC_SPRG_2017-18
- If you do not have that information, please provide at least:
- Prefix and Catalog Number (MATH 1000 in example above)
- Term and Academic Year (SPRG_2017-18 in the example above)
- Click Request
Schedule of Deletion
|Term||Eligible for Deletion||Deletion Completed|
|FALL_2010-11||May 1, 2021||June 30, 2021|
|WINT_2010-11||May 1, 2021||June 30, 2021|
|SPRG_2010-11||May 1, 2021||June 30, 2021|
|SUM1, SUM2, SUMM_2010-11||May 1, 2021||June 30, 2021|
|FALL_2011-12||May 1, 2021||June 30, 2021|
|WINT_2011-12||May 1, 2021||June 30, 2021|
|SPRG_2011-12||May 1, 2021||June 30, 2021|
|SUM1, SUM2, SUMM_2011-12||May 1, 2021||June 30, 2021|
|FALL_2012-13||May 1, 2021||June 30, 2021|
|SPRG_2012-13||May 1, 2021||June 30, 2021|
|SUM1, SUM2, SUMM_2012-13||May 1, 2021||June 30, 2021|
|FALL_2013-14||May 1, 2021||June 30, 2021|
|SPRG_2013-14||May 1, 2021||June 30, 2021|
|SUM1, SUM2, SUMM_2013-14||August 16, 2021||September 10, 2021|
|FALL_2014-15||December 13, 2021|
|SPRG_2014-15||May 2, 2022|
|SUM1, SUM2, SUMM_2014-15||August 15, 2022|
|FALL_2015-16||December 12, 2022|
|SPRG_2015-16||April 30, 2023|
|SUM1, SUM2, SUMM_2015-16||August 13, 2023|
|FALL_2016-17||December 10, 2023|
|SPRG_2016-17||April 29, 2024|
|SUM1, SUM2, SUMM_2016-17||August 12, 2024|
|FALL_2017-18||December 16, 2024|
|SPRG_2017-18||May 5, 2025|
|SUM1, SUM2, SUMM_2017-18||August 18, 2025|
|FALL_2018-19||December 15, 2025|
|SPRG_2018-19||May 4, 2026|
|SUM1, SUM2, SUMM_2018-19||August 17, 2026|
|FALL_2019-20||December 14, 2026|
|SPRG_2019-20||May 2, 2027|
|SUM1, SUM2, SUMM_2019-20||August 15, 2027|
|FALL_2020-21||December 12, 2027|
|SPRG_2020-21||May 1, 2028|
|SUM1, SUM2, SUMM_2020-21||August 18, 2028|
|FALL_2021-22||December 11, 2028|
|SPRG_2021-22||April 20, 2029|
|SUM1, SUM2, SUMM_2021-22||August 13, 2029|
This standard will be reviewed by the Teaching and Learning Advisory Community and the IT Strategy and Governance Committee based on fluctuations in the technology landscape, and/or changes to established practices and mandates.
The reviewers of this standard are members of the Teaching and Learning Advisory Community and the IT Strategy and Governance Committee. The Director and Chairs Council and EPSA have also reviewed the draft standard.
Draft version of this standard has been approved on February 17, 2021.