Learning Management System: Blackboard Learn
OIT will be upgrading Blackboard Learn on August 20, 2020 to improve user experience. Learn more about the improvements in our introduction to Ultra Base Navigation.
Blackboard Learn is an interactive online tool for posting course-related materials, managing student assignments and grades, and as well as facilitating interactions between students and instructors. In addition to Blackboard courses, Blackboard organizations can be used to share non-course-related content, such as announcements, online orientations, and trainings, with any participant with an OHIO account.
How to Access
Instructors & Organizational Leaders
- Organize articles, documents, videos, and other media files for your course or organization.
- Create tests and assignments in one central location.
- Post, submit, grade, and provide feedback for assessments and assignments.
- Communicate with students/participants via announcements, discussion boards, wikis, and groups.
- Detect plagiarism automatically using SafeAssign.
- Review reports to see what students/participants are accessing.
- Use the Blackboard Instructor mobile app to view content, grade assignments, and communicate with students.
Students & Participants
- Access content for your course or organization.
- Keep track of assignments and due dates.
- Take tests and submit assignments in one central location.
- Review assignment feedback and grades.
- Use the Blackboard App to view courses, participate in discussions, and interact with your instructor.
- Academic courses: Blackboard courses are created automatically 8 weeks prior to the course’s start date based on the information in the student information system.
- Instructors of record can access their course(s), add and delete content, and make the course available to students.
- Students of record can access the course if:
- the instructor has made it available to them, AND
- the course start date is no more than 2 weeks in the future
- Organizations: Full-time faculty and staff can request an organization following the directions below.
How to Request
To request the creation of a Blackboard organization, full time faculty and staff may contact the IT Service Desk with the desired name for the organization. The requester will be made the leader of the organization and will be responsible for creating and maintaining the organization’s membership and content. If you would like to add non-OHIO users to your organization, you must first request the creation of a guest account for each user you plan to add.