Basic Training: Microsoft Teams
Download the Teams Application
- To get the most out of Teams, you should install the Microsoft Teams app on your computer. The install works on both OIT-managed and personal computers. Mobile versions also are available from the Apple and Google Play stores.
- If you must access Teams in a browser, we recommend using Chrome or Firefox to log into teams.ohio.edu with your OHIO email address and password.
- On Mac computers, make sure to allow Teams access to your camera and microphone if it asks. This is needed for video/audio chats and remote meetings.
What are Teams and Channels?
- A Team is a place in the Microsoft Teams app for a group of people collaborate inside of Channels.
- A Channel is a dedicated section within a Team to keep conversations and files organized. Everyone on a Team has access to each of the Team's Channels.
What is Chat?
- You can start a Chat with anyone at Ohio University. They do not need to be a part of your Team.
- You can start Chats with multiple people as well, and you can name those Chats for easy identification.
- You can also start a video call and share content (such as files or your screen) once the call has started.
- Your Teams Calendar is linked with your Outlook Calendar. Anything you put in one automatically appears in the other.
- From the calendar, you can schedule Teams meetings, which will create a meeting link that you can share with others.
- You must add at least one attendee for a meeting link to be generated. (You can add your own OHIO email if you plan to just share the link with others rather than invite them as attendees.)
- The meeting will also create a phone number for people to join via phone call.
- You can invite anyone to a meeting from anywhere with a valid email address even if they do not have Microsoft Teams.
- Attendees do not need to have the Teams app installed to join and participate in the meeting. However, we strongly recommend having everyone install the Teams app.
Participating in a Teams Meeting
- Select Join to get started. Once you have joined, you will see the other participants when they have joined.
- Each Meeting has a chat box that participants can use if they do not have a microphone.
- You can share content in a meeting, including sharing:
- Your desktop screen
- A specific window you have open
- A PowerPoint or other file
- The Whiteboard (device with a touch screen highly recommended)
- You can record each meeting and it will save the recording in Microsoft Stream
- You can add participants after a meeting has started.
- Use the Mute All functionality to help reduce unwanted noise. (Don't worry: participants will be able to un-mute themselves if they need to.)
- Participants who join the meeting after it has started will be prompted to mute themselves so they don't disturb the meeting in progress.
Creating a Team
Like the sound of having a Team? Follow the directions toward the bottom of the Microsoft Teams page.
- You have a ready-made group of people to text and video chat with.
- You can organize chat conversations by topic (e.g. by unit, project, homework, etc.)
- You can have a Team meeting in a channel, which is automatically available to all members of the Team
- Everything you need for a particular group of people is all in one place.
- You have to manually request the creation of a Team.
- You have to manually add each of the Team members yourself (but once you've done it once, you're done!).
- Note: If you are requesting a Team for an OHIO course, we are able to add your students for you automatically.
- Keep Teaching is the official OHIO website providing guidance and resources as you make the transition to online teaching.
- Keep Teaching's Resources and Support has links to self-help pages, online office hours and other one-on-one support options, and training sessions.
- The Microsoft Teams description page gives you an overview of what you can use Teams to do.
- Help and Resources: Microsoft Teams has a plethora of resources to help you.
- Send a Teams message to a colleague! There are many OHIO employees already using Teams who may be able to help.
- Contact the IT Service Desk and we will be happy to assist.