Basic Training: Microsoft OneDrive
Accessing Microsoft OneDrive for Business
- OneDrive is best accessed through your web browser by visiting https://onedrive.ohio.edu and using your OHIO email address and password to log in.
What is OneDrive?
- OneDrive for Business is secure cloud storage for your work files. It lets you store and protect your files, share them with others, and access them from anywhere on all your devices.
- Every enrolled student, faculty member and most staff have access to up to 1 terabyte of space on OneDrive. Employees who need space to share files or collaborate with multiple OHIO individuals can request a Microsoft Group. Each Group OneDrive comes with up to 25 terabytes of cloud storage.
- Note: OneDrive is approved to use for storing sensitive data, but this data must be stored in a Group OneDrive, not your individual OneDrive.
- OneDrive is part of the Microsoft Office 365 suite of applications and services and seamlessly integrates with Teams, PowerPoint, Word, Excel and a host of other applications and services. You can also use OneDrive to store other types of files, too.
How do I store files in OneDrive?
How do I manage my files and folders in OneDrive?
- You can manage files and folders from the browser interface (https://onedrive.ohio.edu)
- Your files and folders will appear in one of three places in OneDrive
- Files - Anything you created or uploaded to your individual OneDrive space
- Shared - Files shared with you by other OneDrive users
- Groups (Shared Libraries) - Files owned and accessible by a Group
How do I create a new file in OneDrive?
- Create a new document directly in OneDrive.
- Upload files to OneDrive
- With some applications and operating systems, you can save from an application directly to OneDrive.
How do I share OneDrive files with others?
- You can share a document directly from a Microsoft application or from the OneDrive web interface.
- When you share a document, you can share with an individual, a group, or anyone that receives the shared link. You can also decide if the people you share with have the ability to edit, or just view, the document.
Can I keep a local, synchronized, copy of my OneDrive files?
- If you need to access some, or all of your files, when you are offline, you can sync files between OneDrive and your local hard drive.
- Syncing large files, or libraries of files, can take a lot of time. Consider using the Files On-Demand option if you use Windows.
- Do not sync files that contain sensitive data.
- Keep Teaching is the official OHIO website providing guidance and resources as you make the transition to online teaching.
- Keep Teaching's Resources and Support has links to self-help pages, online office hours, other one-on-one support options, and workshops.
- The Microsoft OneDrive description page gives you an overview of what you can use OneDrive for Business to do.
- Help and Resources: OneDrive has a plethora of resources to help you.
- Contact the IT Service Desk and we will be happy to assist.