Secure My Account: Enroll in Multi-Factor Authentication
Before you begin
- You will need the Duo Mobile app (strongly recommended), hardware token passcode generator, or access to a telephone number that can receive text messages or voice calls.
- Recovery email and questions have to be setup on your account in order to enable this service.
- After you enroll, please check the Remember me for 30 days box on personal devices to reduce the number of pushes/phone calls/texts you will receive while logging in.
Available Authentication Methods
- Preferred method of Ohio University.
- Free download for iOS, Apple Watch, Android, Windows Phone, Blackberry.
- Works on wi-fi or cellular networks. Uses minimal data.
- Can be used to generate passcodes when offline. (Uses no data.)
- Minimal battery usage and app size.
Automated Phone Calls/Texts
- Option for individuals who are unable to use the Duo Mobile App.
- Please select Remember me for 30 days to limit the number of Duo calls/messages sent each month. This setting is helpful when using a computer that you do not share with others.
- Employees who find themselves needing to receive multiple Duo calls or texts each day are encouraged to use a hardware token instead.
- Keychain-sized device for generating passcodes.
- Convenient option if you do not have a mobile device or if you are traveling internationally.
- Available to faculty and staff.
- Contact the IT Service Desk for more information.
Enable Multi-Factor on your OHIO account and enroll your first device
- Login to https://account.ohio.edu with your full @ohio.edu email address and your OHIO password.
- Under Existing User, click on Manage Account.
- Under Notifications, click the link to start the enrollment for Multi-Factor Authentication.
- Follow the instructions to enroll at least one device.
- After enrollment it is recommended to select the button under Account Information to "enable Multi-Factor Authentication for All eligible services."
- Login to https://account.ohio.edu/multi-factor with your full @ohio.edu email address and your Ohio password.
- Follow the steps to enroll your first device.
- After enrollment is it highly recommended to "enable Multi-Factor Authentication for All eligible services."
- Complete this by logging into https://account.ohio.edu and selecting Manage account under Existing User
Follow these steps if you need to reactivate the Duo Mobile app on a smart phone or tablet after a factory reset or after replacing the device with a new one that has the same phone number:
- On your computer, open a new Incognito or Private Browsing window. In most web browsers, this option is available under the File menu.
- Log into https://account.ohio.edu/multi-factor with your full @ohio.edu email address and OHIO password.
- If you have Duo configured to automatically send you a push, you will need to click Cancel to gain access to the Settings button.
- Click Settings.
- Click My Settings & Devices.
- Verify your login. If the only device you have available for verification is the one you need to reactivate, you can use the Call Me option.
- Click the Gear Icon next to the device you need to reactivate and choose Reactivate Duo Mobile.
- Answer a few questions about your device and scan a new QR code to complete your reactivation.