Make it a habit to lock your computer with a password whenever you need to be away, even if you are only going to be away for a few minutes. When going home for the day, make sure to shut down your computer.
Locking & Unlocking a Windows Computer
- Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete.
- Choose Lock Workstation
- To unlock, enter your password in the "Workstation Locked" dialog. If this is not visible, press Ctrl-Alt-Delete.
To lock your workstation, you also can hold down the "Windows" key and press "L".
Password Protecting a Macintosh
To keep the information on your Mac secure when you are away from it, set it to require authentication when it wakes from sleep. When you return to your Mac, type your login name and password to continue working.
To set up a Macintosh with a password-protected screen saver and sleep mode:
- Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Security & Privacy, and then click General.
- Select “Require password for sleep and screen saver.”
You can adjust the amount of delay before a password is required in the pop-up menu.
- To lock your screen quickly with fast user switching enabled, choose Login Window from the menu with your user name. Your apps and documents remain open and undisturbed, but your computer is locked.
- Locking the screen doesn’t prevent other users from turning off the computer, restarting it, and logging in to their own accounts. If you think this could happen, be sure to save your work before you leave your computer.
- You can use your administrator name and password to unlock the screen for yourself or a standard user, but not for another administrator.
To put your Mac to sleep or activate the screen saver:
- Choose Sleep from the Apple menu ()
- Press the Command (⌘) Option and Media Eject key (⏏) simultaneously.
- If you’re using a Mac notebook computer, close its built-in display.
- Tap the power button on your computer.
To wake your Mac from sleep or screen saver mode:
- Move the mouse or strike a key on the keyboard and wait for the password prompt.
- Enter your Macintosh password.