- Identify risk advisories for your destinations by viewing the Travel Advisories posted by the U.S. Department of State.
- Remove sensitive data from the devices you are bringing with you. Limit the number of devices and data you travel with to reduce the risk of exposure. Use temporary devices if possible, such as a University loaner device or disposable pre-paid devices as opposed to regular personal or work devices.
- Prepare multi-factor authentication for as many services as possible.
- For Ohio University, you can enable multi-factor authentication for all eligible services to provide the most protection to your account. (Under "Enable Multi-Factor Authentication for", select "All eligible services” and click save.)
- When traveling abroad you may not have cellular data, but you can still use Multi-Factor Authentication. Learn how to generate Multi-factor Authentication codes.
- Set up Multi-factor Authentication for non-OU and personal services like banking, social networks, and email as well.
- Configure Ohio University's Campus VPN.
- NOTE: Ohio Campus VPN requires multi-factor authentication.
- Request a temporary account (travel service account) to use while traveling. This reduces risk as your regular email account can be configured to forward to this service account for the duration of your stay, therefore you will not have to access using your direct account.
- Make sure your devices’ operating system and software are up to date.
- Ensure anti-virus is installed and enabled.
- Have a current back up of your devices.
- Encrypt your devices.
- Use strong passwords. Avoid dictionary words and add special characters. For cell phones, use alpha numeric or a passphrase instead of PIN entry.
- Turn on "find my device" services and similar remote wiping services if available for your device.
Traveling abroad presents additional risks related to the theft of devices and data. Connecting from unfamiliar locations and networks imposes a new threat landscape from what you traditionally are exposed to. Please consider where you are traveling, what devices you are taking, and what data you have access to through those devices during your trip.