- Open the PDF in Acrobat DC.
- Go to File, then select Protect Using Password.
- Select whether you want the password to be required for Viewing or Editing the PDF.
- Type the password you want to use twice. The password strength indicator will let you know if the password you selected is weak, medium, strong, or best.
- Select Apply. Acrobat will display a confirmation message.
How to Encrypt Files
Encrypting at the file-level is a quick and easy way to ensure that your data is secured when stored or during transit, such as when being sent through email. If you are sending the encrypted file to someone, remember to securely share the password to the file with the recipient (e.g. in person or via telephone). Here we've shared a few common applications and how to use their built-in features to secure your files.