Aug 24: Wired & Wireless Network issues || FIX UNDER WAY
3:05 pm, Aug 28: Network equipment that will resolve this outage has been shipped and will arrive on campus during the afternoon of Aug 29. We will configure and test that equipment immediately upon receipt and, to minimize disruption for users who are not affected by this problem, place it into service at 3:00 am on Aug 30.
Installing the equipment will cause a two hour outage for the wireless network from 3 am to 5 am on Aug 30. Wired connections will not be affected.
4:53 pm, Aug 26: Outage cause identified, fix on the way
The ongoing outage that has been randomly affecting approximately 1% of our total user base at any given time is being caused by our main routers being overwhelmed by a major increase in the number of devices on our network. New equipment is on the way and will be installed ASAP.
Because this issue is direclty tied to how many devices are active at any one time, problems mostly happen between 8 am and 10 pm when the most people are on campus. If you have a device that won’t connect, keep trying, and you’ll eventually be able to connect.
8:05 am, Aug 26: The outage continues to affect a small subset of our total user base. We continue to work with our router and wireless network vendors to identify a fix.
1:04 pm, Aug 25: Based on current analyses, the outage is only affecting about 1% of our total user base. If you are unable to connect to the network, please call the OIT Service Desk at 740-593-1222 or bring your device to the Bobcat Depot.
10:28 am, Aug 25: We continue to receive reports of network problems, though fewer than yesterday. Technicians conitune to work with our router and wireless hardware vendors to troubleshoot. If you are unable to connect to the network, please call the OIT Service Desk at 740-593-1222 or bring your device to the Bobcat Depot.
8:00 am, Aug 25: Router reboot was completed as planned. If you continue to experience difficulty connecting to the OHIO network, please contact the OIT Service Desk at 740-593-1222.
10:18 pm, Aug 24: Router reboot has been moved to 2:20 am on Aug 25 to accommodate a back office process that needs to run at 2 am. All other details of the work are unchanged.
7:43 pm, Aug 24: We contnue to troubleshoot and have escalated this outage to both our wireless equiment vendor and our router vendor. In an effort to restore service to affected users, we will be rebooting the university's core routers at 2:00 am on Aug 25. This will interrupt access to most university online services for between 15 and 30 minutes.
4:48 pm, Aug 24: If you have a computer that is affected by the current network problems, please call the Service Desk at 740-593-1222 so we can walk you through some diagnostic steps. Full time support staff will be on the phone lines until 8 pm this evening.
If you are confident performing console commands yourself, here are the instructions:
1. Open a command prompt
2. Run the command "ipconfig /all"
3. Scroll through the results until you find the connection that isn't working (usually it’s the active wireless LAN adapter but if you’re plugged into your room’s Ethernet jack, then look for the Ethernet adapter).
4. Write down the Physical Address, IPv4 Address and Default Gateway numbers for that connection.
5. Scroll back down to the command prompt and enter the command "ping" followed by a space followed by the address you wrote down for the Default Gateway. The Gateway address will be four sets of numbers separated by periods.
6. Record whether you get "request timed out" errors.
7. Send all that info to firstname.lastname@example.org along with what version of Windows you are running and your OHIO ID.
1. Open your Network control panel
2. Click the entry that isn’t working - probably called WiFi.
3. Click Advanced…
4. Write down your Wi-Fi Address
5. Click TCP/IP and write down your IPv4 Address and Router
6. Cancel and then close your control panel.
7. Open a Terminal window and enter the command “ping” followed by a space followed by your Router number. Then hit Enter. Make a note of whether you get a series of errors. Then hold Control and hit the C key to stop the ping command.
8. Close your Terminal window.
9. Send all that info to email@example.com along with what version of Mac OS you are using and your OHIO ID.
3:25 pm, Aug 24: Troubleshooting continues. Based on network traffic statistics, a fair number of users are still able to access the network.
To help identify the cause of this problem, we need individuals who are currently being affected to call us at 740-593-1222 so we can walk you through some diagnostic steps.
We currently are troubleshooting intermittent problems with the university's WiFi and wired Internet. Symptoms can include an inability to connect or general slowness.
Problems began at approximately 11 am and have grown progressively more widespread throughout the day. We will post updates here and via @OhioIT Twitter at least every hour until this issue is resolved.
Aug 26: ADVISORY - Connecting to Catmail via ActiveSync
Microsoft has posted a "service degraded" notice that describes an issue that could affect a user's ability to connect to Exchange Online using Outlook and Exchange ActiveSync devices such as iPhone, Android, or Windows Phone. The Windows 10 built-in mail client also could be affected.
They state the scope of the issue and number of affected users is limited.
Student printing: intermittent interruptions
Public printers in Alden library and other campus printer locations that use Bobcat Cash have been experiencing occasional service disruptions. When these happen, users are unable to print until the service has been restarted. Until we resolve this issue, lab managers have been asked to watch for print outages and to report them to the Service Desk at 740-593-1222, so we can get the service restarted quickly.
Aug 30, 3 am - 5 am: Wireless network
The wireless network will be unavailable from 3 am to 5 am on Aug 30 while we install new equipment to resolve the ongoing network outage that has been affecting 1-2% of our total user base since Aug 24.
Sep 5, 7am - 9 am: ODWP and ODWS
Maintenance on ODWP and ODWS between 7 am and 9 am on Sep 5. List of affected apps coming soon...
Sep 14, 8 am - 5 pm: Class Climate || RESCHEDULED
Our vendor for this course evaluation/survey scanning service will be performing a system upgrade. This work originally was scheduled for Aug 18. New date is Sep 14.