6 tips for securing a tablet
Wednesday, December 11, 2013
courtesy of securingthehuman.org
If this year's holiday ad trends are any indicator, tablets are going to be a popular gift. Follow these simple steps to secure your new - or not so new - tablet:
- Set a passcode - Tablets are easily lost/stolen. Having a PIN or other lock-screen protection makes it harder for a thief to use your device.
- Auto-lock - Set your device to lock itself after a short period of inactivity.
- Software updates - Install operating system & app updates as soon as they come out.
- Location services - This feature lets your tablet track your whereabouts. Turn this off and then re-enable it app by app only as needed.
- Cloud settings - Storing your settings, files and contacts in the cloud can be convenient, but it also can result in personal browser histories showing up on your work computer if it's synchronized with the same cloud service. Think before you sync.
- Don't jailbreak - Disabling or bypassing your tablet's factory restrictions often opens up numerous security vulnerabilities.
Securing your new tablet: Dec 2013 issue of OUCH!