Top 6 ways to keep your kids safe online
Thursday, April 4, 2013
courtesy of securingthehuman.org
Kids can face danger online from strangers, friends, and themselves. To help keep your kids safe, follow these six tips (from the April 2013 issue of OUCH!):
- Educate your kids - Talk to them about these threats, and create an environment where they feel comfortable coming to you with questions or problems they may have online.
- Use a dedicated computer - Have a separate computer for your kids to use, with a separate, non-admin account for each person. That way you can monitor activity, and any virus infections will not affect your own accounts.
- Set limits for mobile devices - Limit times and places where your kids can use their mobile devices.
- Keep an eye on social networking - Make sure you have access to your kids' profiles and accounts
- Make the rules clear - Create a document that outlines what is ok and what isn't for your kids online.
- Consider filtering technologies - All major OSes include parental controls. You also can consider using third party tools like OpenDNS to filter content. Just be aware that technological solutions lose their effectiveness as kids get older.
Protecting your kids online - April 2013 issue of OUCH!