Requesting a departmental mailbox
- Place a request by calling 740-593-1222 or visiting https://www.ohio.edu/oitech
- Provide the following information:
- Mailbox address: the part that would go in front of "@ohio.edu"
- Mailbox name: what people will see if they look it up in the Global Address Book
- Mailbox owner(s): the OHIO IDs of all individuals who should be able to manage the departmental mailbox
To send email from a shared mailbox, show the "From" field in a new message by going to the Options tab and selecting the From button. Then select the "From" field, choose "Other Email Address" and search the GAL for the departmental account. After successfully sending the first message, the address will be an option in the drop down.
Note that the sent message copy is placed in the sender's Sent Items folder and not the shared mailbox's Sent Items folder. Similarly, a deleted message will be placed in the owner's Deleted Items folder instead of the shared mailbox's.
Accessing a departmental mailbox: OWA
- Visit https://firstname.lastname@example.org (replace email@example.com with your departmental account's address).
- Log in using your own OHIO ID and password.
Accessing a departmental mailbox: Outlook
Outlook for Windows
1. Select the File tab
2. Click Account Settings and choose Account Settings from the drop-down
3. Select Change
4. Click More Settings at the bottom right
5. Select the Advanced tab
6. Select the Add button
7. Type in the mailbox name you received from the Service Desk and select OK
8. Select Apply and OK
9. Select Next, then select Finish
10. Close the Account Settings window
Outlook for Mac
- From the File menu, choose Open Other User’s Folder.
- Type the mailbox name into the search field.
- Click the corresponding name in the search results.
- In the Folder Type drop-down menu, choose Inbox.
- Click Open.
- If prompted to allow and "autodiscover" connection, choose Always use my response for this serverand click Allow.
- A folder with the departmental mailbox's name will appear in your navigation pane.