Bulk email sent to all faculty/staff/students or to specific subsets of the University community. This service also can be used to obtain an electronic file that contains employee directory information.
- Specific recipient groups: Mass mailings can be directed to specific portions of the university community or to a list provided by the person requesting the mailing.
- Test message: A test version of the mailing will be sent to you for approval before the bulk version is sent.
- Rich text: Messages can be formatted with basic HTML.
- Bulk Address Lists: An electronic list that contains faculty and staff directory information, including name and campus address.
- Ad hoc announcements that need to reach a large number of recipients: research study participant requests, major events, planning unit newsletters, etc.
- Current faculty, staff, and emeriti.
- Advisors of registered student organizations.
Security & Accessibility Requirements
Because of the potential impact a mass mailing can have on the university community, emails sent through this service need to adhere to several basic IT security requirements. These requirements are designed to reduce recipient complaints and confusion, reinforce anti-phishing best practices and efficiently utilize campus resources:
- The From and Reply-to email address must be an @ohio.edu address or the address of an approved business partner.
- Links that collect information must point to an ohio.edu website or the website of an approved business partner.
- Direct links to a login page, even if it is an OHIO login page, are not allowed.
- Links to external sites are allowed for informational purposes, but they cannot be used to collect information from the recipient.
- Links must be human-readable and identify the actual destination: No URL shorteners or QR Codes.
Bulk emails should accommodate the following basic accessibility considerations:
- The message must be composed in either plain-text or multipart plain-text/HTML.
- All information conveyed by the message must be in the text, not embedded in images or other elements that are inaccessible by text-to-speech software.
- All images in the message must include "alt" text that describes the image for low-vision recipients.
How to request
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org at least one week in advance with the following information:
- Sender's address - This address will appear in the "From" field of the mass mailing.
- Subject - This will appear in the "Subject" field of the mass mailing.
- Message body - Submit this as a Word document.
- Recipients - The group or groups of individuals who should receive the message.
- Send date - This should be at least 1 week from the date of your request.
- Test email address - We will send a test version of the mailing to this address for final copy approval.
- Employee type - faculty, administrative, classified, etc.
- Campus - You can specify one or more campuses
- Criteria - Advanced search criteria to better define your list, e.g. planning unit, department, full/part time status, etc.