Collaboration, Email, and Storage: IT Services
Email and Calendar
- Email - Catmail offers Office 365-based email accounts for OHIO students, faculty, staff, and alumni.
- Calendar - Online calendaring tool for scheduling meetings with colleagues, students, and other OHIO account holders.
- Bookings - Office 365-based scheduling tool for events or services.
- Mailing Lists - Opt-in/out, listserv-style discussion or announcement lists for small or large groups.
- Mass Mailings - Bulk email sent to all faculty/staff/students or to specific subsets of the University community. This service also can be used to obtain an electronic file that contains employee directory information.
- Shared Mailboxes and Calendars - Custom Office 365 email address that lets one or more individuals send and receive mail using that address rather than their personal address. Can also be used for calendar appointments.
Collaboration and Storage
- Microsoft Groups - Shared workspaces for email, conversations, files, and events where group members can communicate and collaborate. For example, you can request a group for your team and then invite other Office 365 users to join the group to share documents, conversations, meeting notes, and OneNote information related to your specific group.
- Office 365 - Office 365 is a Microsoft subscription service that includes access to Office applications, online productivity services, and business services such as web conferencing, hosted email, and online storage. It also includes mobile versions of Office applications for smartphones and tablets.
- OneNote - OneNote is a digital notebook for capturing and organizing information and data across all of your devices. Jot down your ideas, keep track of classroom and meeting notes, clip from the web, or make a to-do list, as well as draw and sketch your ideas.
File Storage and Sharing
- OneDrive - File storage and sharing with collaborative editing capabilities using Microsoft Office Online.
- FileLocker - Web-based application for temporary, secure file storage and sharing.
- Home and Shared Network Folders - Secure, high speed, on-campus file storage that can be mapped to a Windows network drive, mounted on a Mac via Command-K, or accessed from off campus via VPN. Default quotas for individuals on home.ohio.edu are 10 GB. Departmental quotas on shared.ohio.edu are determined on a case-by-case basis.
Chat and Remote Meetings
- Microsoft Teams - A powerful team-based collaboration tool that provides group chat, channeled conversations, instant messaging, live document collaboration, audio or video calls, and meetings (from one-on-ones to fully-featured audio/video conferences). Teams works in conjunction with other Microsoft applications such as OneDrive, OneNote, and Office 365 via Microsoft Groups. Persistent histories make it easy to review past conversations and shared documents.
- Skype for Business - Microsoft has announced that they will be replacing Skype for Business with Teams on July 31, 2021. We strongly recommend switching to Teams for your chat, remote meeting, and online collaboration needs. Please review Microsoft's FAQ on how to upgrade from Skype for Business to Teams.