Enroll in Multi-Factor Authentication
Already enrolled? Reactivate Duo after a factory reset or after buying a new device.
Before you begin
- Multi-factor authentication requires the Duo Mobile app or access to a telephone number where you can receive texts or voice calls. We strongly recommend the mobile app. It's free, takes up very little space, uses very little data, and is easy to use.
- If your phone does not support apps, you can enroll it in Duo as a "landline." Please keep in mind that the university gets billed for every multi-factor call or text sent. If you can't use the mobile app, please check the "remember me for 30 days" box and try to limit your usage to 5 messages/calls per month.
- You must be on an OHIO campus and connected to either the wired network or the eduroam Wi-Fi network to enroll. If you are physically unable to come to an OHIO campus, you will need to contact the IT Service Desk to verify your identity before you will be allowed to enroll.
Bobcat Student Orientation Students: How to Opt In
If you are a BSO student, you will need to enable multi-factor authentication before you'll be able to enroll a device. Faculty, staff, and emeriti can skip directly to the Enroll a Device section (below).
- Login to account.ohio.edu with your full @ohio.edu email address and your OHIO password.
- Under Existing User, choose MANAGE ACCOUNT.
- Under Notifications, follow the link to enable multi-factor authentication.
Once you have completed these steps, please continue with the instructions (below) to enroll at least one device.
Enroll your first device
This process works best if you have both a computer and the mobile device you plan to enroll.
- Login to https://account.ohio.edu/multi-factor with your full @ohio.edu email address and OHIO password, preferably from a computer.
- Follow the prompts on the login page to install Duo Mobile and activate it on your mobile device.
During setup, the app will ask for access to your camera. Approving this access will let you scan a QR code to complete your enrollment. If you are not comfortable granting camera access, you can click a link during the enrollment process to email yourself an activation code.
Follow these steps if you need to reactivate the Duo Mobile app on a smart phone or tablet after a factory reset or after replacing the device with a new one that has the same phone number:
- On your computer, open a new Incognito or Private Browsing window. In most web browsers, this option is available under the File menu.
- Log into https://account.ohio.edu/multi-factor with your full @ohio.edu email address and OHIO password.
- If you have Duo configured to automatically send you a push, you will need to click Cancel to gain access to the Settings button.
- Click Settings.
- Click My Settings & Devices.
- Verify your login. If the only device you have available for verification is the one you need to reactivate, you can use the Call Me option.
- Click the Gear Icon next to the device you need to reactivate and choose Reactivate Duo Mobile.
- Answer a few questions about your device and scan a new QR code to complete your reactivation.
Detailed instructions are available by scrolling down to the Reactivate a Device section of Duo Security's Managing Your Devices page.