Will you be a returning Ohio University student come fall semester? Would you like a chance to help new members of the Bobcat family? If you answered yes to either of these questions, volunteer to be a part of the Bobcat Move-In Crew!
Students chosen for this opportunity will receive a free T-shirt and a chance to move in early, as well as a chance to earn up to $100.
Requirements and expectations
Those wishing to participate must meet the following requirements and expectations in order to be considered:
• Must be a returning OHIO student.
• Must be physically able to assist students with moving in, this includes assisting with carrying belongings up stairs.
• Must be available for a meeting at 7 p.m. on Monday, Aug. 19 and must be available for move-in either or both of these dates: Thursday, Aug. 22, or Friday, Aug. 23.
• Must complete a W-9 by Wednesday, Aug. 19 (only those who are not an active OHIO student employee).
• Each volunteer may work two shifts over the course of both days. Shift times are Thursday and Friday from 8 a.m. until 1 p.m. or from noon until 5 p.m.
• Assignments will be made based on the number of volunteers in each area, and all students who complete an application by Aug. 1 are guaranteed two shifts.
There will be two options for compensation: Bobcat Cash and Volunteer Hours.
Bobcat Cash payment information
If you complete your entire shift, you will receive $50 in Bobcat cash per shift. You will have the opportunity to work up to two shifts. Please note that you can be taxed on Bobcat Cash, and you must complete a W-9 if you are not currently employed at OHIO.
Volunteer Hours payment information
If you complete your entire shift, you can receive a letter from OHIO Housing and Residence Life stating that you completed volunteer hours during move-in. You will have the opportunity to work up to two shifts, and each shift will count as five volunteer hours.
Student organization compensation
In addition to personal compensation, students can also earn funds for their registered student organization by designating one student organization they are volunteering as a part of. The organization will then receive a deposit from Housing and Residence Life based on the total number of volunteers who complete their entire shift.
• Five to nine volunteers: $50.
• 10 to 15 volunteers: $75.
• 15 to 20 volunteers: $100.
• 20 to 25 volunteers: $150.
• 25 to 30 volunteers: $200.
• 30 to 35 volunteers: $250.
• 35 or more volunteers: $300.
Conditions and early move in
You must complete your assigned shifts in their entirety in order to receive any compensation. If you miss a shift, or do not complete the entire shift, you will be ineligible for individual compensation and you will not be counted as a volunteer for your student organization.
If a student moves in early and does not complete their shifts, they will be billed an early arrival charge of $125. If a student moves in early and violates any part of the Student Code of Conduct, they will be asked to leave and return when the residence halls officially open on Thursday, Aug. 22.
Members of the move-in crew who are living on campus will be able to move in early, but must be available to move in on Saturday, Aug. 17 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Requesting to move in outside of this time slot will not be an option as Housing and Residence Life staff will still be in training and will not be available for check-ins.
Students participating will also receive snacks throughout the day, but lunch will not be provided.
Shift supervisor opportunity
Housing and Residence Life will be hiring move-in crew supervisors to lead a crew of volunteers at a specific residence hall or complex. Move-in crew supervisors will receive $100 in Bobcat Cash for each shift they work as a supervisor, and supervisors can work up to two shifts total.
Shift supervisors must attend the supervisor meeting at 6 p.m. on Monday, Aug. 19. They also must make sure their crew members sign in and out for the shift and must return their paperwork to the Green Leader. Shift supervisors must roam in their assigned area to make sure their crew is assisting students and families, answering questions as needed.
To sign up, go to www.ohio.edu/myhousing and select “Bobcat Move-In Crew” under the applications tab. Registration is for individuals only; do not register as a student organization. To know if you completed your registration, you will see a “Thank You” screen at the end. More information will be sent to volunteers in August.
For more information or to ask a question, email firstname.lastname@example.org.