Nov. 13 - Nov. 19
We've made it to Week 12, Bobcats. The semester is almost over, can you believe it? Don't worry, there's still plenty to do. This week is International Education Week, and the University will be hosting a wide range of events to celebrate the benefits of international education! Read on for more information and a few more featured events.
International Education Week Keynote by Eric Weiner (Thursday, Nov. 16, Baker Ballroom, 7-9 p.m.): Eric Weiner is an award-winning journalist and author of The New York Times bestseller, "The Geography of Bliss", and has also written two other popular books, "The Geography of Genius" and "Man Seeks God". This event is free and open to the public, and those who are unable to attend can watch a livestream video of the Keynote Speech here.
SAP/CPS Female Survivor Workshop Series (Monday, Nov. 13, 3:05-4 p.m.): Open to all OHIO students, this series follows an evidence-based, present-focused workshop model that is aimed at helping female survivors of interpersonal violence attain safety from trauma. Due to the nature of this workshop, the location is not publicized. If you're interested in attending, please email email@example.com for additional information.
RA Recruitment 2018-19 Kickoff & Information Session (Monday, Nov. 13, Baker 240, 6-9 p.m.): The Department of Housing and Residence Life is beginning the resident assistant (RA) recruitment process for fall 2018, and invites all interested students to attend this information session. Attendees will learn more about the position, meet professional staff, and connect with current RAs. Attendance at an info session is mandatory for all RA applicants.
Dream Shoot Book Release & Lecture (Wednesday, Nov. 15, Schoonover 145, 7 p.m.): In 2008, the men's wheelchair basketball team at the University of Illinois to win the college national championship. Josh Birnbaum, lecturer in the School of Visual Communication at Ohio University, traveled with the team to take photos that would capture the experiences of the players in the Illinois wheelchair basketball program. His book, Dream Shot, memorializes a legendary team and the university's dedication to the progress of disability rights. This event is free and open to the public. In addition to the book release and lecture, there will be an exhibition of Birnbaum's images in the School of Visual Communication's Gallery in Schoonover Center 140 through the 27th of the month. Gallery hours are from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Fall Senior Dance Concert (Friday, Nov. 17, Shirley Wimmer Dance Theater, 7 p.m.): Five seniors in the BFA Dance program, Caroline Ciferno, Lily Gelfand, Caitlin Morgan, Samantha Miller, and Benjamin Roach, will perform newly choreographed works showcasing what they have learned during their time at Ohio University. General admission is $8 and is FREE with a valid OU Student ID.
There are even more events happening around campus this week! Check it out:
- Biological & Biomedical Seminar: Genomics of Human Resistance to HIV: Monday, Nov. 13, 2 p.m., Stocker 103
- The Patton College Art Exhibition: Monday, Nov. 13, 5-7 p.m., McCracken Hall
- Rebekah Crawford: Religious Communities, Narratives, & Mental Health: Tuesday, Nov. 14, 12-1 p.m., Alden 513
- INPP Seminar: Making a Recycling Business: Tuesday, Nov. 14, 4 p.m., Edwards Accelerator Laboratory
- Eco Case Competition Awards & Speakers Event: Tuesday, Nov. 14, 6-8 p.m., Nelson Commons
- Thai Performance by the Moradok Mai Community Theatre: Tuesday, Nov. 14, 7-9 p.m., Glidden Hall
- The Violet L. Patton Lecture Series: Wednesday, Nov. 15, 11:45 a.m. - 1:30 p.m., McCracken Hall
- ECOLUNCH: Little Brown Myotis in Yellowstone National Park: Wednesday, Nov. 15, 11:50 a.m., Irvine 159
- UCMU 202: Managing the Media: Wednesday, Nov. 15, 1-2 p.m., Scott Quad 175
- Instructional Innovation & Globalizing the Curriculum at OHIO: Wednesday, Nov. 15, 1:30-4 p.m., Baker 219
- Global Voices Presentation: Hidden Treasures of Sudan: Wednesday, Nov. 15, 2-3 p.m., Elson Hall
- Science Cafe: Srdjan Nesic: Wednesday, Nov. 15, 5-6 p.m., Front Room Coffeehouse
- Visiting Curator, Drew Sawyer: Wednesday, Nov. 15, 5:14-6:15 p.m., Seigfred Hall 519
- Visiting Artist: Bruno Medina Pegoraro: Wednesday, Nov. 15, 6-7 p.m., Glidden Hall
- Saving Mes Aynak + The Last Refuge: Wednesday, Nov. 15, 7-9 p.m., Athena Cinema
- Welcome Reception for the Leipzig University Delegation: Thursday, Nov. 16, 9-11:30 a.m., Baker 219
- Counselor of Education Program Info Session: Thursday, Nov. 16, 6-7:30 p.m., McCracken Hall
- New Horizons Band Interest Meeting: Thursday, Nov. 16, 6:30-7:30 p.m., Glidden Hall
- Ohio Percussion Ensemble: Thursday, Nov. 16, 8-10 p.m., Glidden Hall
- Lunch & Learn: Interactive Session on Microaggressions: Friday, Nov. 17, 12-1 p.m., HRTC 141
- OHIO Hockey vs. Lindenwood University: Friday, Nov. 17, 7:30-10 p.m., Bird Arena
- The United States Army Field Band & Soldiers' Chorus: Saturday, Nov. 18, 7:30-9:30 p.m., Memorial Auditorium
- International Education Week Photo Contest Kick Off: Monday, Nov. 13, 10 a.m. - 12 p.m., Front Room
- RA Recruitment 2018-2019 Kickoff & Info Session: Monday, Nov. 13, 6-9 p.m., Baker Center 240
- Thanksgiving Dinner w/ Scripps PRSSA: Monday, Nov. 13, 6 p.m., River Gate 325
- Malaysia Promoting Wellness in Older Adults Summer 2018 Info Session: Monday, Nov. 13, 8 p.m., Grover E206
- Global Health Case Competition Day: Tuesday, Nov. 14, 8:30 a.m. - 12 p.m., Grover Center
- AAUW Start Smart Salary Negotiation Workshop: Tuesday, Nov. 14, 5-7 p.m., Walter 235
- 21st Century Leadership Workshop: 'I am right, you are wrong': Tuesday, Nov. 14, 6:30-7:30 p.m., CLDC
- Oh, the Places You'll Go! Study Away Experience: Tuesday, Nov. 14, 7-8:30 p.m. Gordy Hall
- Leadership Certificate Workshop 'Bragging Rights': Tuesday, Nov. 14, 7:30-8:30 p.m., CLDC
- Workshop: Student Enhancement Awards: Wednesday, Nov. 15, 12-1 p.m., Alden 301U
- Crafting a Personal Statement: Wednesday, Nov. 15, 3-4 p.m., Alden 301U
- Research Workshop: Information Creation as a Process: Wednesday, Nov. 15, 3 p.m., Alden 251
- Food in Sicily Summer Program Info Session: Wednesday, Nov. 15, 5-6 p.m., Baker 236
- Community & Public Health in Ecuador Study Abroad Info Session: Wednesday, Nov. 15, 5:45 p.m., Grover W320
- Ireland Summer Study Away Info Session: Thursday, Nov. 16, 6:30-8 p.m., Lindley Hall N175
#CUEtip: Having some trouble navigating the CUE? Click "CUE Help" on the left for some quick tips to get the most out of Ohio University's interactive calendar.
Important Dates and Deadlines
- Application due - USA: Civil Rights Tour Spring Break 2018
- Master Students - Oral Defense Deadline
- Doctoral Students - Final Clearance Deadline
- 2018-19 FAFSA OPEN NOW
Parking Lot Closures
This Compass series shines a spotlight on unique and high-profile events and important deadlines taken from OHIO's official online Calendar of University Events. Visit calendar.ohio.edu/admin/setupevents.aspx to log in with your OHIO ID and add your organization or department's events to the CUE. Feeling lost? Visit www.ohio.edu/calendar/help/ or email firstname.lastname@example.org for help.