iCUE Spotlight: Oct. 9-15, 2017
It's Week 7 of fall semester at Ohio University! In addition to Reading Day on Tuesday, Oct. 10 (no classes), the week is packed with loads of events that you won't want to miss. We've listed a few highlights here, but be sure to check the official OHIO Calendar of University Events (CUE) to see a full list of events and deadlines from all campuses. You can login with your OHIO ID add your own - information is welcome from all departments and registered student organizations.
Check out some highlights:
Experience OHIO (Monday, Oct. 9, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Athens Campus): The University is hosting various events for prospective students to help them explore their options at OHIO within the colleges. These events include Bobcat Business Experience Day, Dance Division Fall Open House and Auditions, Experience Engineering and Technology Day, Experience the Arts Day, Patton College of Education Experience Day and Experience the Humanities Day. Attendees will meet professors and current students to learn about the OHIO experience, all while touring our beautiful and historic campus!
Workshop: How to Write a Competitive AAUW Fellowship Application (Wednesday, Oct. 11, 12-1 p.m., Women's Center): Women pursuing graduate or post-doctoral study may be eligible for awards of up to $30,000 from the American Association of University Women. AAUW funding opportunities for American and international students will be addressed to give students time to meet the first application deadline, Nov. 1. Click here for additional details.
OHIO Faculty Newsmakers Gala (Thursday, Oct. 12, 5:30-7 p.m., Baker University Center Ballroom): The OHIO Faculty Newsmakers Gala recognizes all Ohio University faculty members who were featured in news outlets during the previous calendar year. Please note, admission is by invitation only. Sponsored by Ohio University Communications and Marketing and the Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost, this annual event is designed to honor Ohio University faculty who elevate the University and raise its national and global profile through media coverage of their work and their participation in OHIO's Expert Directory.
A Guide to Upsetting Rape Culture: Lecture, The Monument Quilt (Thursday, Oct. 12, 7-9 p.m., Schoonover 145): The Monument Quilt is a public healing space by and for survivors of rape and abuse. Hosted by FORCE: Upsetting Rape Culture, The Monument Quilt is an on-going collection of stories of survivors that are written, stitched, and painted onto red fabric. The quilt is then displayed in city and town centers to demand the creation of public spaces to heal. The quilt resists the popular, narrow narrative of how sexual violence occurs by sharing stories, and it builds a new culture where survivors are publicly supported, rather than publicly shamed. The quilt will be on display at Peden Stadium on Friday, Oct. 13 from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
And here are a few more events you won't want to miss:
- Ted Strickland on "The future of the Democratic Party": Tuesday, Oct. 10, 5:30-6:30 p.m., Schoonover Center 145
- SMART Dialogue Series - Fall 2017: Wednesday, Oct. 11, 1-2 p.m., SMART Lab, Scripps Hall 212
- Astrophysics Seminar: Near-Infrared Explorations of Buried AGNs in Advanced Mergers: Wednesday, Oct. 11, 4:10 p.m., Edwards Accelerator Laboratory
- Science Café: Julie Suhr, Psychology: Wednesday, Oct. 11, 5-6 p.m., The Front Room Campus Coffeehouse, Baker University Center
- Concepts of Race Mixing and Miscegenation in 19th Century America and Ancient India: Wednesday, Oct. 11, 5 p.m., Bentley Hall 111
- Startup Weekend Athens: opens Friday, Oct. 13 at 6 p.m., Innovation Center
- 2nd Year M.F.A Student Film Screening: Saturday, Oct. 14, 7-9 p.m., Athena Cinema
- 2017 Komen Athens Race for the Cure: Sunday, Oct. 15, Peden Stadium (registration starts at 10 a.m.)
- Mountain Stage: Sunday, Oct. 15, 7 p.m., Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium
- Foundations of Research 3: Research as Inquiry: Wednesday, Oct. 11, 3-3:55 p.m., Alden Library Learning Lab 251
- Workshop: Presenting Your Research: Friday, Oct. 13, 10-11 a.m., Alden Library Learning Lab 251
- OHIO Late Nights: Saturday, Oct. 14, 9 p.m. to 1 a.m., Living Learning Center
For faculty and staff:
- Finance and Administration Business Forum: Tuesday, Oct. 10, 2-4 p.m., Human Resource and Training Center (HRTC)
This Compass series shines a spotlight on unique and high-profile events and important deadlines taken from OHIO's official online Calendar of University Events. Visit calendar.ohio.edu/admin/setupevents.aspx to log in with your OHIO ID and add your organization or department's events to the CUE. Feeling lost? Visit www.ohio.edu/calendar/help/ or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for help.