Hey Bobcats! It's already Week 10, but even though the semester is flying by there are still plenty of events to participate in on campus - including Dads Weekend, which is Nov. 3-5. This special weekend is the perfect opportunity for fathers, father figures and families to experience Ohio University while spending time with their students, and there are tons of activities planned!
But we've got a lot of week to get through before we reach Dads Weekend and here are a few highlights from the CUE:
Wealth and Poverty Week: Ted Strickland on Restoring the American Dream (Monday, Oct. 30, 3 to 4 p.m., Friends of the Libraries Room, Alden Library 319): Former Ohio Governor Ted Strickland will discuss discussing “Restoring the American Dream and Securing a Stable American Democratic." His lecture is part of the College of Arts and Sciences' Wealth and Poverty Week on Urban Challenges. If you aren't able to make it to the library, you can watch a livestream (that will be remain available afterward).
Other Weath and Poverty Week events include:
- Smoki Musaraj on Albanian Cities: Tuesday, Oct. 31, 1:30 - 2:30 p.m., Alden Library 319
- Matt Layton on urban living in Latin America: Wednesday, Nov. 1, 1-2 p.m., Alden Library 319
- Daniel Moak on school to prison pipeline: Thursday, Nov. 2, 10:30 - 11:30 a.m., Alden Library 319
- Wealth & Poverty: Bernadette Hanion: Friday, Nov. 3, 3-4 p.m., Alden Library 319
President Nellis on 970 AM WATH Party Line (Wednesday, Nov. 1, 9 to 10 a.m., WATH radio 970 AM/97.1 FM): OHIO President M. Duane Nellis makes his first appearance as a guest on the Party Line talk show with Dave Palmer since his investiture. You can tune in to WATH 970 AM to hear what he has to say no matter where you are because you can listen online at www.970wath.com.
Musashi University Japan Exchange Info Session (Thursday, Nov. 2, 5 to 6 p.m. and 7 to 8 p.m., Baker University Center 236): OHIO students, are you interested in traveling to Japan? Stop by for pizza and a chance to learn about the Office of Global Opportunities' exchange program at Musashi - a small, private university located in Tokyo, Japan. This is a great opportunity to meet with faculty, staff and students involved in the program and learn to Go Global in Japan!
Top Girls (Nov. 2-4 and 8-11, Baker Theater in Kantner Hall): Join the theater department for the provocative Top Girls! Written by Caryl Churchill and directed by Allison Epperson, Top Girls is the story of an ambitious woman and the price she had to pay to climb the corporate ladder. Through Arts for Ohio, tickets are free for OHIO students with a valid student ID. Regular tickets are $10 for adults and $7 for other students and seniors. Are you curious about the play - why it was chosen, what themes it covers, etc.? Stick around for a talkback discussion period following the performances on Nov. 4 and 8. For additional information, please call 740-593-4800.
Check out even more events happening around campus this week:
- Athena Cinema & AUBA Uptown Trick-or-Treat Movie: Hocus Pocus: Monday, Oct. 30, Athena Cinema, 7:30 p.m.
- OHIO Football vs. Miami: Tuesday, Oct. 31, Peden Stadium, 8 p.m.
- Stroll Patrol: Tuesday, Oct. 31 and Thursday, Nov. 2, 12-12:30 p.m., meet between Bird Arena and Grover Center
- Halloween Midnight Movie: Hausu: Tuesday, Oct. 31, 11:55 p.m., Athena Cinema
- Science Café: Zach Meisel, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy: Wednesday, Nov. 1, 5-6 p.m., Front Room Campus Coffeehouse, Baker University Center
- Sustainability Film Series | Samuel in the Clouds: Wednesday, Nov. 1, 7-9 p.m., Athena Cinema
- 90 Minutes Series: Richie Plass: Wednesday, Nov. 1, 7-8:30 p.m., Schoonover Center 145
- Aquila Theatre's Sense and Sensibility: Wednesday, Nov. 1, 7:30 p.m., Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium
- Kitchen Table Conversation: Thursday, Nov. 2, 2-3:30 p.m., Class of 1951 Lounge, Alden Library
- The Movement Organization: Dance Concert: Thursday, Nov. 2, 7:30-9 p.m., Shirley Wimmer Dance Theatre, Putnam Hall
- CommonSpot Basic Content Contributor Training: Friday, Nov. 3, WUSOC 302, 9-10:30 a.m.
- Noon Talks at The Kennedy: Friday, Nov. 3, 12:10-12:50 p.m., Kennedy Museum
- School of Media Arts & Studies Retirement Celebration for Vibert Cambridge: Friday, Nov. 3, 3-6 p.m., Maggie Davis Room, Baker Center 120
- OHIO Hockey vs. Davenport University: Friday, Nov. 3, 7:30-10 p.m., Bird Arena
- 2nd Annual OHIO Open Tennis Tournament: Saturday, Nov. 4, 9 a.m. - 6 p.m., Golf & Tennis Center
- Alden Open 2017 Mini Golf and Games!: Saturday, Nov. 4, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m., Alden Library
- Department of Physics and Astronomy Open House: Saturday, Nov. 4, 10 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Clippinger Laboratories
- OHIO Women's Basketball vs. Walsh: Saturday, Nov. 4, 1 p.m., Convocation Center
- OHIO Men's Basketball vs. Capital: Saturday, Nov. 4, 3:30 p.m., Convocation Center
- Public Telescope Nights at the Ohio University Observatory: Saturday, Nov. 4, 8-10 p.m., The Ridges
- OHIO Late Nights: Saturday, Nov. 4, Living Learning Center, 9 p.m.
- OHIO Wind Symphony: Symphonic & University Band: Sunday, Nov. 5, 4-6 p.m., Memorial Auditorium
- Thirsting for Knowledge Thursdays: The Handmaid's Tale: Thursday, Nov. 2, Baker Center 403, 12-1 p.m.
- Halloween Club Cycle: Monday, Oct. 30, 6:15 - 7:15 p.m., Ping Center
- Learn how to make Buzzfeed quizzes: Tuesday, Oct. 31, 5-6 p.m. , Schoonover Center 145
- Zombie Zumbathon: Tuesday, Oct. 31, 6-7:30 p.m. , Ping Center
- 21st Century Leadership Certificate Workshop "Get It Together": Tuesday, Oct. 31, 6:30 - 7:30 p.m., Amanda Cunningham Leadership Center, Baker University Center 366
- Professional Leadership Certificate Workshop: Tuesday, Oct. 31, 7:30 - 8:30 p.m., Amanda Cunningham Leadership Center, Baker University Center 366
- Senior pictures for Athena Yearbook: Nov. 1-2, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Baker University Center fifth floor atrium
- Foundations of Research 5: Authority is constructed & contextual: Wednesday, Nov. 1, 3-3:55 p.m., Alden Library 251
- First-Gen Friday: Let's Get Crafty! DIY Event: Friday, Nov. 3, 11 a.m. - 12 p.m., Baker Center 230
- Global Professional Development Series | Bragging Rights: Friday, Nov. 3, 12-1 p.m., RTEC
- OHIO Late Nights: Saturday, Nov. 4, 9 p.m., Living Learning Center
This Compass series shines a spotlight on unique and high-profile events and important deadlines taken from OHIO's official online Calendar of University Events. Visit calendar.ohio.edu/admin/setupevents.aspx to log in with your OHIO ID and add your organization or department's events to the CUE. Feeling lost? Visit www.ohio.edu/calendar/help/ or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for help.