2018 Moms Weekend is loaded with fun activities
Photo courtesy of: University Communications and MarketingMother and daughter share a moment during a past Moms Weekend
One of the most popular and fun-filled weekends of the year is Moms Weekend, and it is just around the corner! Moms Weekend begins Friday, April 6, and continues through Sunday, April 8. All Ohio University moms are invited to spend a weekend in Athens and experience all OHIO has to offer.
“The energy of Moms Weekend is off the charts as both students and their moms are thrilled to be together on campus,” said Judith Piercy, interim assistant dean of students. “Whether moms and students are participating in one of the numerous activities, walking around our springtime campus or just hanging out together, you can feel an atmosphere of love and pride.”
The OHIO community will be offering a wide variety of activities throughout the weekend to enjoy with friends and family.
- Continuing its mission to feature art and fine craft of all media, the Dairy Barn Arts Center presents a spring celebration, the Dairy Barn Fest, on April 6 from 3 to 8 p.m. and April 7 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. At no admission cost, check out handcrafted goods from featured artists around the region.
- Stroll on over to Athena Cinema to catch the beloved fairytale classic, “The Princess Bride” on Friday, April 6, and Saturday, April 7, at 7 p.m. The adventures of Princess Buttercup and Westley are sure to delight audiences of all ages. Tickets are $7 per person.
- Honor and celebrate the significant women leaders of Ohio University as they showcase their diverse talents at the 41st annual Miss Bronze Scholarship Pageant on April 6 hosted by The Men of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. Phi Chapter. The event will be held in the Baker University Center Theatre at 7 p.m.; doors will open at 6 p.m. The theme of this year’s pageant is "They said we couldn't, but we did." The price of admission is $7 in advance or $10 at the door. The fraternity has been able to award over $3,500 in scholarship money to contestants in the past years.
- For the moms who love the outdoors, spend an evening under the stars at The Ridges on Friday, April 6, or Saturday, April 7, from 7 to 11 p.m. The Moms Weekend Stargazing and Night Hike event includes transportation, guide staff and campfire snacks. Registration is required; cost is $10 per person.
- The School of Music and the Dance Division presents the 2018 World Music and Dance Festival and Diversity Concert at Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium on April 6 at 7:30 p.m. The event will feature many guest artists and ensembles such as Piscataway Indian Nation Singers and Dancers, Samba Diallo (former choreographer, performer with the National Ballet of Cote D'Ivoire) and Sogbety Diomande (formerly of the Ballet National de Cote d' Ivoire). OHIO students receive free admission with valid student id and general admission is $12 for adults and $9 for all other students.
- Lace up those gym shoes and walk to raise awareness for breast cancer on Saturday at the annual Moms Walk for the Cure, a 2-mile walk benefiting Susan G. Komen Columbus. Registration, T-shirt pickup and a light breakfast will begin at 9 a.m. and the walk kicks off at 10 a.m. Registration is $20.
- Ohio University Department of Campus Recreation will be hosting its first annual “Wine & Nine” Golf Outing April 7 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. This event will feature a variety of wines produced by three of Athens County’s most recognized wineries. Participants must be 21 or older, registration is $50 per person. Teams can have a max of four members.
- Adventure awaits with the many events Outdoor Pursuits has to offer, including Moms Weekend Conkle’s Hollow Day Hike through the Conkle’s Hollow hiking region in the Hocking Hills and the Zip Line Adventure at The Ridges 40-ft tower. The fun begins at 10 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday. Registration is required, cost is $20 per person.
- Do you hear that? It’s the three School of Music choral ensembles: University Singers, Singing Men of OHIO, and the Women's Ensemble singing music on themes of love during their Moms Weekend concert at 1 p.m. The Singing Men of Ohio and Women's Ensemble will reprise works from their Spring Break Tours and recognize graduating members.
- Want a quick taste of what Athens has to offer? Stop by OHIO MomsFest 2018 on Saturday between 2 to 5 p.m. to experience the many gems of Athens in one place. MomsFest will feature some of the best vendors, businesses and local organizations that Athens has to offer. Taste local food, treats and drinks while enjoying live music, games, raffles and much more. Proceeds go to Blue Line Boosters Club, a nonprofit organization at Ohio University that comes together to support the OHIO ice hockey teams.
- Bring your mom to the Ping Center this Moms Weekend for a free yoga group fitness class on Saturday at 3:30 p.m. No registration necessary.
- What’s better than sipping wine and painting? Enjoy a cash wine bar, hors d'oeuvres, music, raffles in Walter Hall Rotunda and create a painting to bring home as a keepsake at the Paint with Pinot event! All proceeds will go towards unique recreation programs connecting Ohio University students and members of Expanding YOUR Horizons, a local organization devoted to developing self-esteem, self-determination, and independence within adults with cognitive and developmental disabilities. Tickets are $35.00 per person and open to ages 16 and over.
- Come see members of the Learn to Skate program, Athens Figure Skating Club, and the Ohio University Synchronized Skating Team hit the ice and perform in Bird Arena at 6 p.m. for the Spring Ice Show.
- Ready to have your mind blown? Four internationally acclaimed mentalists who have been seen on NBC, FOX, CNN, BRAVO, HISTORY, DISCOVERY and UNIVISION, among others will demonstrate the phenomenal power of the mind via Telekinesis, Hypnosis, Mind Reading and Predictions, leaving audiences enlightened and enthralled! Tickets are $20 for general admission and the event begins at 8 p.m. in the Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium.
- Calling all thespians! On April 7 at 8 p.m., come support Slainte, a student-written production that tells the tale of Ciara and her grandmother, Patsy, when they go on a holiday to Ireland for Patsy’s 70th. The show costs $5. Tickets must be purchased at the door of the Baker University Center Theatre.
- Unlimited pancakes, you say? Enjoy a delicious pancake brunch on Sunday from 9 a.m. to noon in Baker University Center 240. Tickets are $7 per person and partial proceeds from the Moms Brunch sponsored by Club Crew will benefit Athens County Children Services.
For additional Moms Weekend information, including registration links, and events, please visit: https://www.ohio.edu/parents/family-weekends/moms-weekend.cfm