Ohio University

What faculty, staff and students need to know about travel to Cuba

Published: October 3, 2019 Author: Staff reports
Yamada House
Yamada House


The U.S. Department of Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) prohibits persons subject to the jurisdiction of the U.S. from engaging in transactions in which Cuba or a Cuban national has any interest whatsoever, direct or indirect. 

This includes transactions related to travel, unless specifically authorized. See, 31 CFR Part 515. Travel to Cuba is heavily regulated under federal law but the government does allow travel-related transactions, for certain educational activities by faculty, staff, and students of accredited U.S. graduate and undergraduate degree-granting academic institutions.  However, such travel must be authorized under a general license. 31 CFR § 515.565.

At Ohio University, the Office of Global Affairs and International Studies (OGAIS) serves as the authorizing agent of the general license.  In order to facilitate the general licensing process, a Cuba Pre-Travel Questionnaire must be completed prior to booking any travel to Cuba.  OGAIS will use this information, in conjunction with the traveler, to understand if this fits within the general license requirements.

The survey must be completed as soon as possible but no less than three months prior to your proposed travel date to Cuba. 

For additional requirements and suggestions about planning your trip to Cuba, please visit the OGAIS webpage for more information.

Contact the Office of Global Affairs at globalaffairs@ohio.edu or 740-593-1804 with questions.