Learning Specialist Team
Heritage College Learning Services
The Learning Services team offers highly individualized support to all students throughout their medical education. Our team consists of educators with expertise in adult learning theory and higher education. As lifelong learners, we work diligently to remain informed about best practices in medical education.
Students are encouraged to schedule early and often. We are available to:
- Assist students in developing effective strategies for time management and approaches to study
- Discuss options for note taking
- Help students identify supplemental resources that support individual learning style
- Create study schedules
- Provide specialized guidance and planning for students preparing for both levels of the COMLEX and USMLE
- Support students with planning for rotations and COMAT study
- Offer emotional support
- Connect students with appropriate support such as an academic peer support leader, learning community, student accessibility services and additional service options
These services, including tutoring, are provided at no additional cost.
Learning Services Team
|CLICK TO SCHEDULE||CLICK TO SCHEDULE||CLICK TO SCHEDULE||CLICK TO SCHEDULE|
ACADEMIC PEER SUPPORT LEADERS
Academic peer support leaders are advanced osteopathic medical students who provide mentoring and focused academic support to students. Academic Peer Support Leaders are available on each campus to support with study strategies, coursework and concept clarification. APSL team members are available and ready to assist. For additional information and to set a meeting with an APSL, please contact the campus assistant director of learning services.
Learning communities are offered at each campus to encourage connection among students. Learning communities meet most Thursdays in the late afternoon/early evening.
Sessions are a safe place for students to ask questions, review content and apply their knowledge. Session leaders create rich content that is designed to be engaging and enjoyable. Learning communities are popular among students. We ask that students adhere to the guidelines for each session, are respectful of session leaders and support one another in the learning process.
COMSAE, COMLEX, COMAT & USMLE Preparation
Learning specialists work with students for all levels of COMSAE and COMLEX preparation. Students are encouraged to schedule time with the campus learning specialist to discuss individualized study plans and review appropriate resources. Learning specialists are an excellent resource for NBOME and NBME updates and exam information.