PHWC Incoming Student Curriculum Manual
To request an absence of any kind, for any mandatory activity, please complete the form in LCMS+ (instructions to login and submit an absences request in LCMS+).
- If you will be missing multiple mandatory activities on a single day or over multiple days, you must request an absence for each mandatory activity.
- It is expect that you will complete this form as soon as early as possible before the missed activity (for a complete list of approved absences, please refer to the schedule and attendance section of the Incoming Student curriculum manual).
- Please note you need to submitted requests for conferences 30 days prior to the requested absence.
- All required textbooks are listed on the Heritage College booklist. However, it is recommended that you do not purchase textbooks until you have had a chance to review them.
- Disciplines are used in LCMS+ and tagged to exam questions to give a very general idea of the discipline covered in the learning activity or on the exam question.
- Your first term as a Year I medical student will present you with opportunities to expand your knowledge base in a variety of educational environments, including both clinical and classroom settings. To maximize these learning experiences, we ask that you purchase the medical and laboratory equipment listed here.
The Curriculum Office facilitates the taking and reviewing of exams.
- Students will follow the exam procedures listed on the Academic Affairs Policy and Procedures page.
- Students will adhere to the Professionalism Code.
- Students will sit in the same assigned seat all year. The seating chart will be emailed to you prior to the first exam.
- Students should be prepared for computer-based exams, paying special attention to the computer requirements.
- Students will follow the Exam Review policies listed on the Academic Affairs Policy and Procedures page.
- Students have a limited time after the assessment for review. Please refer to the policy for details.
- These forms are used by student groups for scheduling non-curricular events. Using the forms ensures that events do not conflict with curriculum or other college events, that the appropriate room is available, and that other event details are taken care of. Please note requests need to be made at least one week prior to the event.
- For many Heritage College learning activities, the classes are broken into groups of varying sizes.
- Many activities are broken down into smaller student groups. You will see on the academic calendar what group(s) are required to attend a given session. Group assignments can be found in LCMS+. Choose your Profile, then click the word “groups”. This will tell you what groups you have been assigned. Students are not permitted to “trade” group assignments. Special requests for group changes will be considered only for health or child care issues only.
- The Academic Affairs Policies and Procedures page contains policies that you may need to be familiar with at some point in the next four years. The ones most likely to affect you are the Curricular Policies and Procedures, which includes policies on the Learning Resource Center (LRC) and Immunizations. The PHWC Year 1 policies will provide important information about emergency cancellations and assessment information.
- The general dress codes are a little different on each campus, so please take a look at the appropriate one for you. Individual activities that require a specific dress code will display a (D) on the activity on the calendar. Details on the specific dress codes is found in the syllabi. The dress code for orientation is business casual, which means dresses or dress shirts and pants or skirt; ties are not necessary, no sneakers or flip-flops for anyone, nothing too casual, fancy or revealing.
- The Heritage College office of Student Affairs is the place to go for course registration, financial aid, Health Insurance, Student Government Association (SGA) and much more.
- Syllabi provide information on Instructors of Record, attendance requirements, grade breakdown, etc.
- Please use this form, rather than contacting faculty or administrators directly. This not only ensures your requests are processed correctly, but also that your requests do not get waylaid if one individual is unavailable.