What You Need to Know
Thursday, May 7 - Athens Campus
1pm Grads on the Green Golf Outing - Ohio University Golf Course
5pm Grads' Gathering, Little Fish Brewery, 8675 Armitage Road, Athens
Friday, May 8 - Athens Campus
11am Financial Aid Presentation, Baker University Center Theater, 2nd Floor (Optional)
Commencement Awards Ceremony, Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium
3pm Commencement Rehearsal, Convocation Center (Required for Graduates, Optional for Mentors)
Saturday, May 9 - Athens Campus
8:30am Doors open to the public
8:45am Graduates and Mentors arrive at the Convocation Center
Commencement Ceremony begins
Noon Reception in Baker University Center
To be determined.
Graduate attire must be ordered through the graduation application and will be distributed at the required Commencement rehearsal on Friday, May 8.
Rental attire for faculty and staff who wish to particiate in the ceremony and rental attire for mentors can be ordered at this link:
Rented regalia will be available for pick-up beginning at 8:45 a.m. on Saturday, May 9, in the lower front lobby of the Convocation Center.
Members of the Heritage College Class of 2020 should continue checking their student email and this page for updated information.
Guest seating and accessibility
Seating in the Convocation Center is on a first-come, first-served basis and we ask that guests refrain from saving seats. There are no tickets issued for this event or limitation on the number of guests a graduate may invite.
A sign language interpreter will be present at both the Awards and Commencement Ceremonies.
Wheelchairs will be available in the drop-off parking area to assist guests into the venue. Guests will be asked to transfer into a seat once inside the arena. There will be seats reserved for guests with limited mobility. We ask that only one additional guest sit in this section to reserve ample seats in the designated area. Wheelchair seating is available on the arena floor. If you have any questions about accomodations for the graduation ceremony, please contact the Office of Student Affairs in advance at (740) 593-2365.
For the safety and security of those attending commencement, all bags and packages entering the Convocation Center before and during the ceremony will be subject to inspection. This includes, but is not limited to purses, backpacks, camera bags and diaper bags. These are precautionary measures, and are not in response to a specific threat.
A Mamava lactation suite is available to use as a comfortable, private location for nursing and lactating individuals needing to pump or nurse. In order to utilize the Mamava suite, you will need to download the Mamava App on Apple App Store or Google Play. The app will allow you to unlock the Mamava suite in the Convocation Center.
The Heritage College Commencement Awards Ceremony will take place on Friday, May 8, time to be determined, at the Templeton-Blackburn Memorial Auditorium . The ceremony will include presentation of student awards and other memorable moments for you and your family. Dress will be business casual. Please continue to monitor this page and your Ohio University email for updates and RSVP information.
For a list of Athens-area hotels, please click here.
Local bookstores have diploma frames available for purchase. For information, contact the College Bookstore at 740.594.3505 or Follett's University Bookstore at 740.593.5547. Heritage College diplomas are 15x12 inches. Announcements are available through Ohio University Printing Services.
A mentor is someone who has encouraged and fostered your academic accomplishments. They should best represent the spirit and the art of your medical education. A mentor is not required for graduation. If you select a mentor, that person will walk with you on stage at the ceremony and hood you. The criteria for mentor selection is as follows:
- Each student may choose ONE mentor for Commencement.
- The mentor must have a doctoral degree (degrees include, but are not limited to: D.O., M.D., D.D.S., D.P.M., D.V.M., D.C., D.M.D., O.D., Ph.D., J.D., etc.).
- The mentor must be an established member of the professional community who has practiced/worked in their field for a minimum of one year. Peers and fellow classmates cannot serve as mentors.
Process for mentor selection:
- The graduate identifies their mentor based on the above criteria.
- The graduate contacts their mentor to ensure that they are willing to serve as their mentor and available to attend the ceremony. Mentors are welcome to attend rehearsal on Friday, but are not required to attend.
- The graduate completes the mentor selection form to communicate their selection to the college. Graduates will receive email notification once the form becomes available. The mentor’s name will be listed in the program.
Name and Premedical Degree
Your name and premedical degree will be included in the Commencement program. Please review this information for accuracy and contact us for any edits.
- Parking for graduating students, friends and family on Friday, May 9 can be found in lot 128 surrounding the Convocation Center.
- The following lots have been designated for parking on Saturday, May 10 :
- All vehicles must be parked within a valid non-metered, non-restricted space within one of the lots designated above.
- We offer shuttle service from Grosvenor Hall (near the Convocation Center parking lot) to Baker University Center for the reception following Commencement from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
For questions regarding commencement parking, call 740.593.2365.
For driving directions to Ohio University's Athens campus, please click here.
View Webcast of the Ceremony
If you cannot attend the Commencement ceremony, a live webcast will be available on the day of the event here. Please note: The video stream accessible at the link below will not display the live event until the ceremony begins.
If you couldn't attend previous ceremonies or wish to view them again, the links below will take you to archived videos of the event.
Event photographs, along with graduate and mentor portraits, will be available to students for download shortly after Commencement. Students will receive an email linking to the downloadable images and will have 30 days to complete the process before the image gallery expires.
Enjoy this interactive digital version of the printed program.
Office of Student Affairs
Grosvenor Hall 018
1 Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701-2979
Office of Student Affairs
Telephone and Fax: