Summer Discovery Experience - June 2018
Mark your calendar! Ohio University - Dublin will be hosting its Medical Academy health discovery program on June 19-22, 2018 on its Dublin campus. Central Ohio junior and senior high school students interested in working alongside professional students in the university's Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine and College of Health Sciences and Professions, are encourage to apply to this selective program.
Cultivating Careers in Health Care
Focused on reimagining educational approaches to careers in health care, Medical Academy focuses on fostering learning across the educational continuum, enabling career exploration and professional growth, and providing opportunities for leadership through service learning.
Are You a High School Student ...
- Attending a high school in Central Ohio?
- Starting your junior or senior year in fall 2018?
- Excited to learn about career opportunities in health care?
- Interested in follow-up learning activities during the 2018-19 school year?
- With at least two years of science classes (e.g., biology, chemistry, physics, etc.)?
- Able to arrange your own transportation to the Dublin campus?
The Medical Academy Discovery Series
If you answered yes, then consider applying to participate in the Medical Academy Discovery Series, a career exploration program that begins as a four-day summer camp followed by quarterly activities held in the school year that follows. In June 2018, Dublin kicks off the Discovery Series for 2018-19, inviting high schools students to the campus for four days filled with hands on interactive and experiential learning activities. During the camp, high school students will work directly with medical and physician assistant students, doctors, and other health professionals, who will guide your journey as you explore these activities:
- Learn about career options in healthcare
- Observe the hallmarks of medical evaluation and diagnostic reasoning
- Examine the interpersonal dynamics of the doctor-patient interaction
- Participate in interactive demonstrations of human anatomy and physiology
- Practice hands-on clinical skills and techniques
- Explore the importance of diet, lifestyle, and exercise to wellness
Highlights of the Series
The 2018-19 Discovery Series will be held June 19-22, 2018, on the new Ohio University-Dublin campus, home to the latest learning technologies, clinical simulation center, high-tech clinical examination rooms, and anatomy laboratory. The camp is free to selected participants and will be held from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily. Lunch will be provided at no cost and on-campus parking is free.
OhioHealth is our signature sponsor and program partner, providing medical content experts from a range of disciplines who actively engage participants. The program is intended to strengthen the pipeline of future medical and health care professionals in central Ohio.
CLick the OhioHealth logo to watch a video about our 2017 summer camp.
High school students who will be first in their immediate family to attend college are highly encouraged to apply. Program highlights of the summer camp include a series of experiential learning activities:
The Patient Experience
Working through a series of hands-on exercises, you will explore the hallmarks of medical evaluation, diagnostic reasoning, and the interpersonal dynamics of the doctor-patient interactions.
Clinical Skills and Technologies
Guided by medical students and doctors, you will be immersed in a series of clinical skill-based activities, including a hands-on introduction to laboratory medicine, assessing patient vitals, drawing artificial blood from simulated models, and understanding electrocardiograms.
Human Structure and Function
You will participate in a series of laboratory-based activities exploring the structure and function of the human body, modern approaches to medical imaging and its correlation to clinical findings.
Wellness and Lifestyle
You will be introduced to a variety of health professions through one-on-one interactions, collaborative learning, and discussion about career options in health care, educational preparation, and the importance of teamwork and interprofessionalism.
Online application now closed .
Please review the application requirements carefully and then complete all the necessary pieces to apply for this fun and engaging experience. There are a limited number of seats for this summer program, and participants will be selected based upon submission of an application portfolio that includes:
- Information about yourself, high school courses of study, college and career interests;
- Letter of recommendation from a teacher or guidance counselor;
- Response to question prompting you to describe a person that inspires you and why. As detailed in the online application, you can choose to answer the question using one of two formats:
- WRITE A BRIEF ESSAY describing this inspirational person and be sure to provide specific examples to illustrate why and how they inspire you.
- CREATE A SHORT VIDEO describing your person with attention to specific examples that illustrate why and how they inspire you.
Please note that the deadline for applying has been extended. For full consideration all application materials -- including your letter of support, essay or video– must be received by Wednesday, April 25, 2018.
Begin Application To Learn More
Timothy Cain, Ph.D