- Diversity and Inclusion
- Get Involved
The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Center advances the diversity mission of Ohio University by creating a campus environment inclusive and supportive of sexual orientation and gender identity or expression. As part of this mission, the LGBT Center is excited to offer the Wayne Hadley Scholarship Fund’s LGBT Award to support LGBT identified undergraduate students during their academic career at OHIO, with preference given to students participating in some form of travel experience. Recipients of the Wayne Hadley Scholarship can receive up to $1000 (amount will vary and the award will be distributed through your Ohio University student account).
• Must be enrolled at Ohio University as a full-time, degree-seeking UNDERGRADUATE student.
• Must be in good academic standing.
• Must identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, queer, and/or transgender.
Award can be used throughout the academic year. The award can be used by:
• Students who seek to enhance their learning through travel/study abroad experiences. The award can be applied toward the costs associated with a credit-bearing study abroad program sponsored by OHIO or another accredited institution.
• Students participating in travel experiences such as internships, academic/professional conferences, research projects, service trips, and immersion programs (international and domestic).
• Students who need assistance with tuition/fees or other university-related expenses.
If you have any questions, please contact the LGBT Center at email@example.com or 740*593*0239.
1. A completed application form (below).
2. Two reference letters -- from someone who knows you personally, professionally, and/or academically (not a friend or relative). The reference is to help the selection committee better understand who you are as a student, leader on campus, and/or community activist. The letter can reflect your work both in and out of the classroom.
3. Two-page personal essay addressing the following questions:
-- How do you embody / demonstrate a commitment to LGBT equality?
-- How will this award help you in your studies?
-- What are your personal, academic, and professional goals?
-- How will this award allow you to positively impact the LGBT OHIO community, wider campus community, and the world?
Please submit additional application materials to:
Retired Honors Tutorial College Assistant Dean Jan Hodson and her husband current WOUB Public Media General Manager Tom Hodson started this fund in response to interactions with students trying to come to grips with their own sexual and gender identities as well as fears related to telling their families. The fund was created to offer support to LGBT students who experience financial hardship or crisis after coming out to their families and being cut off, making it difficult for them to continue their education or pay their rent.
If you are experiencing any financial hardship due to family situations (challenges with rent, not being able to purchase books, not being able to pay utilities, etc), please contact delfin bautista (hyperlink: firstname.lastname@example.org). This fund is not bottomless or unlimited, but the center will try to help in whatever ways we can.