Changing Gender with the University

Because of the way the University interacts with the government, they must always have your “legal sex” on record (though they call it “gender”). In order to change the “gender” that the University has on your records, you must have a doctor’s letter stating that you have completed “gender reassignment surgery” or present your birth certificate or driver’s license showing the appropriate gender.  

More info coming soon. Feel free to email Mickey Hart at hartm@ohio.edu if you need assistance with this.

Birth Certificates

In the state of Ohio, it is impossible to change one’s gender on a birth certificate. However, most other states are not as rigid with their birth certificate policies. The state in which you change your birth certificate depends upon the state where you were born, not where you currently reside. Most states will issue a new birth certificate or an amended one for a change of name.

For a complete listing of states and their policies regarding birth certificates, see Dr. Becky’s: Changing Birth Certificate page: http://www.drbecky.com/birthcert.html.

Ohio University Selective Service Form
Selective Service has a special exemption for transsexual people changing their legal sex. You can find the form for exemption at the Registrar’s website:
Selective Service Compliance Form

The section for “transsexual” is listed under Section 2. Directions for filling out the form can be found at the selective service website: http://www.sss.gov/instructions.html.

Ohio University
Athens, Ohio 45701
(740) 593-1000
All Rights Reserved